Identify this yellow Fiji fish!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papa_Bear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Close to shore about 15ft deep in Beqa Lagoon:
600__MG_4387_Yellowfish_Beqa_Fiji_07.jpg

Blenny?:D

Was this fellow on a brief excursion off the bottom, or pretty much free swimming? Would you say it achieved neutral buoyancy? With that deeply forked tail my initial thought is "tilefish" of some sort, but the rest ain't quite right...
How long do you reckon it is? Looks about 4 inches (10 cm) in the picture... that about right?
... on second thought... either Ecsenius midas - the Midas Blenny, or Meiacanthus ovalaunensis - Yellow Forktail or Canary Blenny.
Rick

3" to 4" Free Swimming neutral, because of the fin so far forward I considered a juvenile Dolphin Fish? I considered the Blenny at first, but the fin so far forward on the head bothered me! Plus the free swimming!???? Thats why I posted it! This is fun! Thanks.............

3" to 4" Free Swimming neutral, because of the fin so far forward I considered a juvenile Dolphin Fish? I considered the Blenny at first, but the fin so far forward on the head bothered me! Plus the free swimming!???? Thats why I posted it! This is fun! Thanks.............
Those two blennies do have the fin up there, but don't usually swim around with it up - maybe a mate attracting showoff, which would also explain the free swimming for longer than you'd normally expect from a blenny.
What we need here is a real ixthyologist with some South Pacific expertise... which I, decidedly, ain't :D
Here's a juvie dolphin/dorado/mahi-mahi...
juvenile.JPG

Rick

Thanks, it has to be the Blenny!

I can fill the ichthyologist role, with moderate south Pacific experience, mostly Gulf of Mexico, but...

99% positive Meiacanthus oualanensis
Head doesnt match up with Midas Blenny Ecsenius midas

I can fill the ichthyologist role, with moderate south Pacific experience, mostly Gulf of Mexico, but...

99% positive Meiacanthus oualanensis
Head doesnt match up with Midas Blenny Ecsenius midas
Thanks... I sorta kinda thought that but was unwilling to bet :)
Rick

Back
Top Bottom