Identify This Reg Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. I have an older idi second stage reg I'd like to rebuild myself. Will it get used, probably not, but I like to tinker and I'm not ready to do so on anything I plan to dive with.

They were made by idi (I know they went out of business). They have California written on them.

Dropbox - idi Regs

If anyone could she'd some light? I don't know if there's a parts kit out there that would match up? I looked at XS Scuba, and I looked through eBay to see if I could find a set with the name so I could search for parts, but couldn't find any.

Thanks!!

As you probably already know, IDI was not a very popular brand. IIRC, they were around from the late 80s to the early 00s. I am fairly positive that they did not make their own regulators but sold IDI-branded regulators from other manufacturers. If I had to guess I would say your regulators were made by Ocean Diver Supply.

I am sure the seats are standard and you could purchase them from Northeast Scuba Supply. The o-rings you would need to match up, so you would need to disassemble the regulator and match the rings to a chart or take them to a hardware store to be matched for size and hardness. Make sure you make notes on disassembly and take pictures so you can assemble it correctly.

Alternatively, you can try to find an old IDI dealer and see if they can help you.

Just give it a good soak in hot soapy water overnight then take it apart keeping track of where everything is. Post pictures of the guts here and we can probably point you in the right direction. As mentioned above, you'll probably only need a few easy to come by parts: a few o-rings, a seat, and possibly a nylock nut.

Good luck.

You should contact the ebay seller. He seems to have everything IDI.

Maybe I didn't word that right. I looked on ebay to find a picture and hopefully be able to name the model # of the unit, that way I could search a parts list. I'm not sure if ebay is the correct place to get parts?

I don't see anyone selling anything for idi on ebay.

Fwiw I added more pictures to the link. I took the cover off just to show the inside.

Dropbox - idi Regs

Just give it a good soak in hot soapy water overnight then take it apart keeping track of where everything is. Post pictures of the guts here and we can probably point you in the right direction. As mentioned above, you'll probably only need a few easy to come by parts: a few o-rings, a seat, and possibly a nylock nut.

Good luck.

Just saw this after I posted, will do just that, thanks!

Fwiw I added more pictures to the link. I took the cover off just to show the inside.

Looks to be a classic downstream second stage. Should be easy to get generic parts and service.

Maybe I didn't word that right. I looked on ebay to find a picture and hopefully be able to name the model # of the unit, that way I could search a parts list. I'm not sure if ebay is the correct place to get parts?

I don't see anyone selling anything for idi on ebay.

Dropbox - idi Regs
I searched "IDI regulator" a found a seller with first and second stage kits for sale. He seems to specialize in IDI, I'm sure he can help you. Like the others said you don't necessarily need IDI parts, a LP seat and a couple of o-rings is all you probably need.

I think after letting it soak, I'll take it apart. The lp seat sounds to be all that I would have to order. (Local hardware had a huge section of our rings). I'm pretty sure they would have the nut as well, although the insides look barely used.

Thanks guys, will update with more pictures as I go.

Back
Top Bottom