Identify a starfish off Panama City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dinky_diver

Reaction score
Sorry no pictures but I saw a couple of starfish on the bottom at 98 feet off the Accokeek wreck last week. They had five arms. White body with blue strip down each arm that connected in the center. Well it was blue to me but at that depth I can't be sure and I didn't have a light. They were right on the bottom and I waved the sand off them to get a good look. Each was bigger than my hand. Didn't touch them though! :crafty: Thanks for the help.

dinky_diver:
Sorry no pictures but I saw a couple of starfish on the bottom at 98 feet off the Accokeek wreck last week. They had five arms. White body with blue strip down each arm that connected in the center. Well it was blue to me but at that depth I can't be sure and I didn't have a light. They were right on the bottom and I waved the sand off them to get a good look. Each was bigger than my hand. Didn't touch them though! :crafty: Thanks for the help.

Sounds like a Beaded Sea Star.

Shooting from the hip, I'd say you've got Luidia clathrata eyeballed. I'm too lazy to pull out my Starfishes of the West Atlantic right now, much less locate a picture. If you don't think 'ol L. clathrata fits the bill, give me some more details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom