Identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha it wasn't me who went diving.
My friend did and asked me to help identify it.
She didn't even realise she got a photo of it, she was taking a photo of the sunstar and didn't realise it was there so it must have been tiny

It could be something like Facelina auriculata but difficult to tell without a closer view. Normally found feeding on hydroids. It is recorded all around the UK

Yeah it's such a shame she didn't see it when she took the photo.
I'm sooo curious! Maybe she will get to see one again!
It;s absolutely beautiful though.

Do you think it's definitely a nudibranch? Also anyone with information on them? Don't think I will ever learn them in my course and they are amazing!

We're looking from quite a distance but I am pretty certain that is a nudibranch. Identifying which one would take more photographs with sharp, close up views. Even then, there is often not 100% certainty of the exact species.

No need to be pretty certain - it is definitely a nudi. There are many types in the North Sea where this was taken and some are stunningly colourful - which is surprising to many folks given the location ie green, murky, cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom