Identification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Sarah,

The Wikipedia article looks good. Tunicates are animals which resemble sponges and other very primitive animals but which are actually categorized as Chordates (animals with spinal cords) since they have a tadpole like larval stage with a notocord. After they settle out then that goes away and they become more like a sponge.

Clinton

Ever think modern science is a little bit limited when it tries to explain aquatic life?
I think you might be right. I was also reading today about how the misuse of latin terminology can result in misidentification which actually "sticks" in popular usage.

Hi Sarah,

The Wikipedia article looks good. Tunicates are animals which resemble sponges and other very primitive animals but which are actually categorized as Chordates (animals with spinal cords) since they have a tadpole like larval stage with a notocord. After they settle out then that goes away and they become more like a sponge.

Clinton

Clinton - that's awesome information. I am going to do some more reading as I have a sneaking suspicion that I've been misidentifying (in my head) sponges which might be tunicates. Very interesting. Thank you!

I am really 'into' saltwater aquarium keeping and it is amazing how easy it is to misidentify seemingly identical species of coral. Latin names are almost casually used (and often misused) in the reefkeeping hobby. Water action, available light and available foodsources all can impact the skeletal form of coral and cause a single specimen of coral to develop into what would appear to be several different species. Likewise, several different species of coral can have almost identical appearances because of their enviroment.

Add to this the difficulty identifying what sponge, bryzoan and tunicate material are available, and I am sometimes amazed that we can identify as much as we can.

Back
Top Bottom