Identification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarita75

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I thought some of the local whizzes might be able to help me figure out what these things are:

Number 1: Found at Breakwater Cove, south side of the beach at about 15-20 feet, floating in the water column.

IMG_6983.jpg

IMG_6982.jpg

Number 2: These "stringy" things were all over by the Metridium Fields and in some of the sandy bits. Seemed to be coming out of the holes in the sand.

IMG_6885.jpg

Thanks all!

It was actually quite big. The olive snails that I know are pretty small. This 'mass' was about 2.5" (in the ball), so perhaps 4" if stretched out in a more normal position. I didnt see any gills or nudi characteristics....

That's really awesome. I was wondering if it was swimming because it was "writhing" in the water column. That is a definite first for me!

The Sea Slug Forum - Melibe leonina

Shall we continue with more "brain teasers" (yeah, I know, probably a cake walk for most of you .....) because I have a few more ......

Number 3: .... Of the vegetation variety - affixed to the reef by a "stem" and almost like a spikey berry on top.

unknown2.jpg

Number 4: ... of the fish variety. Quite long (10-12" in length) and simply "chillaxin'" under the tube anemone until I took the 2nd photo (shown here) and I suppose I was just too close for comfort @ that point. Small lingcod?

fish26.jpg

Here's another shot:
fish27.jpg

The first one is a tunicate: Boltenia villosa I think.

The fish is indeed a small lingcod.

Clinton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom