Ideas needed: diving Belize feb 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steffen84

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear all,

A friend and I want to dive Belize in February 2018. Challenging divesites welcome. No luxury needed. budget is secondary. We would like to see big fish (incl. sharks) and do not want to end up in a honeymoon resort.

Unfortunately departure times of liveaboards do not fit (and I guess we are to late for it anyways by now).

What would you recommend?

Do you know a eco friendly dive resort close to or in lighthouse reef?

Many thanks for your hints and best,
Steffen

TIL might be a little too much on the luxury side, although I didn't find it "luxury" in the sense that a butler will bring you your pipe and slippers in the morning.

Maybe Huracan? Fellow SB member Stoo goes there every year and raves about it. Much cheaper and more basic.

Most of the resorts out there tend to cater to the high end crowd and with that comes certain amenities. But they also tend to be eco-friendly, more out of necessity than anything else.

If you're looking for lots of night life and touristy atmosphere, check out Ambergris Caye. Less night life and fewer tourists check out Placencia, my personal favorite. Both are further from where you want to go but have accommodations ranging from the high end to the low.

The diving in Belize isn't all that "challenging," but there is the Blue Hole which is a unique and somewhat controversial dive. Whale Shark diving is a bit of a challenge as it's go go go until you spot one or run low on air but that's not until spring.

Last edited:
Steffen, as others mentioned, I have been travelling to the outer cayes for the past 10 years or so. Initially, we went to Turneffe Island Resort. I really have nothing bad to say about the place, other than it's pricey and there's a tendency to nickle and dime you to death... Ridiculous tipping guidelines and brutally expensive drinks (especially for a Canuck).

We moved out to Huracan for a couple of reasons... First, because while the diving around Turneffe is quite good, the best diving we did there was out at Halfmoon Caye... And Huracan is the only place that's right there.

The second reason was the cost... both the overall price, but also the single supplement. We had a friend come with us, and the supplement was about $2000 at TIR and $100 at Huracan...

Anyway, we loved the place and still do. We consider the stay friends. In fact, the chef starts messaging with us a couple of weeks before we go asking if we like this or that...

And as I am careful to mention in reviews, our relationship with Huracan has changed over the years. While I provide most of their photography for them, it really is more like going to stay at a friend's cottage... and for us, priced accordingly. Let's just say, they made us an offer we couldn't refuse!

And as I am careful to mention in reviews, our relationship with Huracan has changed over the years. While I provide most of their photography for them, it really is more like going to stay at a friend's cottage... and for us, priced accordingly. Let's just say, they made us an offer we couldn't refuse!

I do the same when I talk about Splash Dive Center on Placencia. I've been going there so long that I've become fast friends with Ralph and Patty, the owner/operators, as well as the rest of the crew so I feel like I should disclose that whenever I talk about Splash. It certainly helps that they run a top-notch organization.

That's just what happens when you find a favorite destination.

That's just what happens when you find a favorite destination.

Yup, and it doesn't take away from the fact that I think this area is the best diving overall in the Caribbean. There are times were are tempted to go elsewhere, but after 30+ years of travel to the Caribbean, there really isn't much left for us to explore... Corn Islands perhaps....

Yup, and it doesn't take away from the fact that I think this area is the best diving overall in the Caribbean. There are times were are tempted to go elsewhere, but after 30+ years of travel to the Caribbean, there really isn't much left for us to explore... Corn Islands perhaps....

I booked our 10th anniversary trip to Huracan in May partly to your reviews and photos. If our 10th anniversary trip isn't good, it's all your fault. :wink:

Ah crap.... :)

As I've said, it isn't for everyone, but we love it. Everyone who has ever come with us has loved it too... As long as you can stand awesome diving, great food, nice people, you can't go wrong~

FWIW, we had our 10th there last year... Also our 9th, 8th, 7th, 6th.... looks like we'll make it for our 11th as well.

I think it is right up our alley. We are all about getting away from it all and getting in a lot of diving.

Congrats on the anniversary.

Back
Top Bottom