Ideas for small footprint compact camera setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When choosing between the G7x-Series or the Sony RXxxx it really depends on what your preferences are.
I like the colour algorithm on the Canon and I think it is suited better for underwater - but again it depends on what you personally prefer.

First I upgraded to the Sony A6000, which honestly speaking for underwater photography is probably one of the best deals out there right now (Price & Performance).
But because I take a lot of videos I finally ended up with the Sony A6500. The A6500 got the same sensor as the A6000 and pretty much the same specs, but overtakes the A6000 when it comes to video-performance (build in Image stabiliser, 4k, super slow motion, just to name a few :wink:
Funny you should mention the A6000. That series was my first choice when I began researching. I went back to a compact idea because I didn’t want to have to choose between specific lenses for each dive ( plus price per lens and port)
Is it possible to use an A6xxx series camera with a “kit” lens and still get good results. ( using wet lenses like you would with a high end compact)
Also, once in a housing, is the size much larger than the compact? I’ve seen them in Best Buy, but never inside a housing.

Funny you should mention the A6000. That series was my first choice when I began researching. I went back to a compact idea because I didn’t want to have to choose between specific lenses for each dive ( plus price per lens and port)
Is it possible to use an A6xxx series camera with a “kit” lens and still get good results. ( using wet lenses like you would with a high end compact)
Also, once in a housing, is the size much larger than the compact? I’ve seen them in Best Buy, but never inside a housing.
Also, I don’t take video very often , except a random shot of something cool that pops into view, like a random shark).

Yes, the 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ kit lens of the A6xxx series is very well suited to operation with wet lenses, both wide and close-up. I'm actually considering selling off my dome and 10-18mm and going to WWL-C instead, although if I do that, I will still keep the 90mm macro lens and port for dedicated macro dives.

So long as you don't put a big dome on it, the difference in size is not great. This review has a photo of SeaFrogs RX100 and A6xxx housings side by side.

good opportunity for comparison but the fantasea seems to me much smaller than the one in the review

It's a bit smaller, yes - SeaFrogs housings are closer to Ikelite in overall bulk - and Nauticam housings are smaller still, but the overall size of the underwater rig is dominated by the tray, arms and lights/strobes. Housing size and weight is more of a factor when you pack it for travel, not when you deploy it for a dive.

It's a bit smaller, yes - SeaFrogs housings are closer to Ikelite in overall bulk - and Nauticam housings are smaller still, but the overall size of the underwater rig is dominated by the tray, arms and lights/strobes. Housing size and weight is more of a factor when you pack it for travel, not when you deploy it for a dive.

Agree, my DIY tray. TG6, Go Pro, and kit packs up very nicely into my DJI drone hard case and the total weight including some small spanners and screw drivers pliers and my Perdix and weighs less than 7kg which is hand carry and the case is hand carry size for any airline. I put the batteries in LIPO bags as I also have my dive torch batteries in there as well.

1078.jpg
1077.jpg
1076.jpg
1075.jpg

Also, I don’t take video very often , except a random shot of something cool that pops into view, like a random shark).

Yeah I take mostly photos but sometimes there are good things to video.

I have a DIY tray which is fairly compact and is easily taken apart and can be carried in a laptop bag,
TG6 PT059 housing two Big Blue Video lights and my old go pro in the dry port which could hold a small torch or strobe
Two lights are better but one is often enough. Some small lights can be mounted in the housing dry port but don't put anything too heavy in the port.

View attachment 648943
Thanks. Just an update. I went with the TG6/oly housing. Just used it down in the keys and love it so far. Haven’t even added a strobe yet, but light years ahead of my DC1400. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks. Just an update. I went with the TG6/oly housing. Just used it down in the keys and love it so far. Haven’t even added a strobe yet, but light years ahead of my DC1400. Thanks for the suggestion!

Enjoy the camera. Takes time to learn how to get the best out of it but have fun with it. I know I do.

Back
Top Bottom