Ideas for new Advanced Topic Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1_T_Submariner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Netdoc has mentioned that there is a plan for a new Advanced Scuba Disscusion Forum and would like input.

Here are a few Ideas I think could be debated for "rules"

Make it open only to members that have been around scubaboard for a little while, say 50 posts or something. I guess if they are interested enough to be a supporting member that would count too.

Mods could monitor and move Basic questions to the Basic Forum.

I'm sure other members will come up with plenty more.

Some will argue Advanced is a misnomer and it should be called Basic Discussion 2 or something...just jokin

Yes, we are VERY interested to hear your thoughts on this, as it is almost ready to be rolled out.
I need some help please. What is the objective? I searched BTW and only got this thread.

I don't see the need for any rules above and beyond the TOS. There is a fine balance between over-moderation and chaos. But the moderators here have, for the most part, managed it quite nicely. You can coddle the life out of a discussion board if you're not careful. Let the new forum serve as a catchall for the discussions that don't fit neatly into other forums and don't need protections for the sensitive or uninitiated.

Certainly an interesting idea. I seem to be slow to embrace changes and new ideas soemtimes. I don't see the merit of post count or supporting status qualifying tho? I certainly don't consider myself an Advance diver at all, even tho I survived and learned to be better than I used to be.

Or is the the subject of the discussions that would qualify or disqualify? Ear clearing and buoyancy would be out surely, but what about the inevitable pony bottle? What do you have in mind here...?
Some will argue Advanced is a misnomer and it should be called Basic Discussion 2 or something...just jokin
Actually I think you're right.
I don't see the need for any rules above and beyond the TOS. It is a fine line between over-moderation and chaos. But the moderators here have, for the most part, navigated it quite nicely. You can coddle the life out of a discussion board if you're not careful. Let the new forum serve as a catchall for the discussions that don't fit neatly into other forums and don't need protections for the sensitive or uninitiated.
I don't think there is a risk. I remember NetDoc telling me what he said at a DEMA a few years ago when he was asked "what makes SB so successful?"

"I don't know? The member so it,"
:eyebrow: altho the Moderators and NetDoc's general oversight certain keep it in line.

I need some help please. What is the objective? I searched BTW and only got this thread.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/transitional-diving/
A forum dedicated to discussing the transitional process of migrating from the traditional recreational diving envelope into more advanced areas such as advanced nitrox and trimix diving, decompression diving, cave diving and wreck penetration diving, blackwater diving, etc. This forum isn't a place to discuss technical diving per se - that's what our technical diving forums are for - but rather to discuss those baby steps to becoming a true advanced diver who's ready to step into tech.

Later edit: Changed the forum name: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/

Last edited:
I don't understand. Can someone tell me where I'm not supposed to be posting now? :wink:

Certainly an interesting idea. I seem to be slow to embrace changes and new ideas soemtimes. I don't see the merit of post count or supporting status qualifying tho? I certainly don't consider myself an Advance diver at all, even tho I survived and learned to be better than I used to be.

The only reason I was suggesting a post count was or sponsor membership would be so that people new to the board maybe not new to diving would learn how the board works prior to posting in the new Advanced forum.

There is a learning process to Scubaboard. Some of the other Boards that I belong to (non-Scuba related) operate differently. Like members accept that others are different and use different equipment and end up with good results regardless. They are a lot more open to new ideas. People on Scubaboard seem to be Way more opinionated than on other boards that I have been exposed to anyway.

Oh, ok. That one was there already, figured there was another re ‘as it is almost ready to be rolled out’.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom