Ideas for January 2015 - Fiji, Raja Ampat, Maldives, Micronesia, Australia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hutch12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I am looking for ideas for what could be our final major dive trip for quite some time.

My wife and I are based in Hong Kong so would prefer Asia Pacific Region but would not rule out West Pacific. Our other preference would be for a Liveaboard only or Liveaboard plus resort. Here is a rough list of LOBs we have done before;

Great Barrier Reef
Komodo
Palau
Layang Layang
Maldives
Simillans
Galapagos

We have also dived from resort in Mabul/Sipadan, Fiji (Taveuni) and several places in the Philippines.

We are booked to visit Sipadan and repeat the Komodo LOB through 2014 (because we enjoyed these so much) and we are looking for somewhere, ideally, that we haven't been to before but would live up to the standard of diving we have enjoyed already.

Our first thought was Raja Ampat but after further reading we are not convinced it would be for us. I would still be interested others opinions on this one.

We both enjoy U/W photography and videography and enjoy healthy corals, fish life, macro and pelagic (both love sharks and mantas).

As well as other's suggestions on places we have not considered, I would also like input on the following list of possible destinations and where possible recommendations for LOBs;

Raja Ampat
Fiji (previously we only spent 3 days in Taveuni and LOVED it)
Exmouth, Western Australia
Yap
Solomon Islands
Maldives (previously we did the Central Atolls itenery would consider a different itenary)
Chuck Lagoon ( we are not huge wreck fans but interested for opinions on the sealife)
Mozambique
Andaman & Nicobar Islands

We would also consider Cocos or Soccoro Islands thought the distance would make this less preferable.

We would prefer to leave the Caribbean until we relocate back to Europe.

Looking for 7 day LOB and 3-4 days of resort either side of the LOB.

I know thee are many factors here and I know that it will be tough to meet allthe criteria but am just looking for different options to those we have already covered for what we hope will be a huge trip.

Many thanks in advance.

Surely raja ampat is the one missing, as it had Pelagics, diverse healthy coral and macro for photography. Not sure why you guys felt it wouldn't be for you. It's kind of a major destination and you have been to many others at that level surely it's the next on the list? If you like
Photography maybe do a liveaboard that includes lembeh, alor or Ambon for the macro!

Thanks guys.....

Not sure why you guys felt it wouldn't be for you. It's kind of a major destination and you have been to many others at that level surely it's the next on the list?

I do agree, it s the natural next choice, however, further reading has suggested that it really is just large amounts of great coral and fish life........which, yes this sounds great, but is also available in many areas of Fiji but which also has "other stuff" too. I had also read somewhere that we should expect poor vis at certain times in Raja. Can anyone confirm this? Would love to hear more opinions on Raja as we certainly haven't ruled it out.

I do like the idea of combining with Lembeh and Ambon, this had comer to mind when we originally looked at Raja.

Any further opinions on the other destinations mentioned in my OP would be warmly received.

Wrong time of the year for Exmouth, wet season and too big a chance of cyclones. I would also not go to the Solomons for the same reason, although it would at least have some protection from winds. Chuuk is okay at that time of the year, but there is not much fishlife on the wrecks. The coral though on some is better than most reefs. If you do not want to explore the wrecks, then I suggest not going there.

I do agree, it s the natural next choice, however, further reading has suggested that it really is just large amounts of great coral and fish life........which, yes this sounds great, but is also available in many areas of Fiji but which also has "other stuff" too. I had also read somewhere that we should expect poor vis at certain times in Raja. Can anyone confirm this? Would love to hear more opinions on Raja as we certainly haven't ruled it out.
Knowng both Raja Ampat and Fiji, I can guarantee nothing can compare with Raja Ampat, of course Fiji has great corals and fish life, but you can't put a vision on the words "variety" and "packed with fish" until you've dived Raja Ampat.
Yes' sometimes Raja ampat has poor viz, but it doesn't matter since the fish is much closer at hand reach than anywhere else.
Talking about nature's feel, diving "The passage" is like diving the Amazon... you can't be more dipped into nature. Go there before it' covered with resorts and the horizon populated with liveboards (which is already the case).
If I had only one liveaboard itinerary to select I 'd do Banda Sea and Raja Ampat.

We adored RA , 7 nights over Christmas 2013 on Black Manta . We also did Komodo , I actually preferred Komodo , my husband preferred RA. It's awesome , I could be mean and say that if you didn't enjoy RA it is probably time to find another hobby.....but wouldn't dream of doing so.

Thanks all for teh comments, keep them coming......

Tippytoes, interested in your comment
I actually preferred Komodo , my husband preferred RA.

Reason I ask is, as mentioned in my OP we are revisiting Komodo in August this year. I wondered how similar the diving would be for 2 trips so close together and if another option would be preferable. One other reason I guess why we had looked elsewhere from RA, although comments on here so far suggest we should look at it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom