Ideal Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have OrcaTorch D530 and D550 torches. Both are good torches, but neither has an adjustable beam that you mentioned you want in post #3 above.

You also mentioned that you want single hand operation...I assume from a mask mounted position. If that is the case then the D550 would be my recommendation as push on/off sealed magnet tail switch is simple and easy to operate with one hand even with thick gloves. The switch on the D530 may be a little more difficult to hit with a gloved hand with the torch's body out of your field of view.

-Z
well most of these have a narrow beam so maybe adjustable beam isn't my greatest concern. I've heard some not so good things about the d550. I like the d530 w/ 1300 LM better. Or should i consider the d570 with the green laser...

what would you use instead, mares, light and motion (L&M), Orca Torch (550 or 950 models..)
None of the above?

I use L&M lights for my gopro. My primary is a light monkey canister or a UWLD canister.

I do have a very tiny 25 lumen AAA powered mask light I use for surveying in a cave, because anything brighter reflects off the page so much I cant see my handwriting. But I'm assuming this isnt what you seek

None of the above?

I use L&M lights for my gopro. My primary is a light monkey canister or a UWLD canister.

I do have a very tiny 25 lumen AAA powered mask light I use for surveying in a cave, because anything brighter reflects off the page so much I cant see my handwriting. But I'm assuming this isnt what you seek
I;m thinking about the ocra torch d530 with 1300LM, any opinions?

well most of these have a narrow beam so maybe adjustable beam isn't my greatest concern. I've heard some not so good things about the d550. I like the d530 w/ 1300 LM better. Or should i consider the d570 with the green laser...

What have you heard about the D550?

-Z

mostly battery issues and leaking, with gloves do you think it'll be hard to hit the button on the d530 from a head mounted position?
T.G./

mostly battery issues and leaking, with gloves do you think it'll be hard to hit the button on the d530 from a head mounted position?
T.G./

Personally I have no stake at all in what lights you choose but I have not heard of either of these issue with the D550. I have 3 D550s and 1 D530 that my wife and I routinely use as primary and backup torches all of them have been down to 40 meters and the only one gave me problem and it was not due to battery or flooding. OrcaTorch warrantied the torch and allowed me to keep the defective one. I tore apart the torch and found the solid-state circuit board looked like it had excess flux on on couple of soldered connections. I cleaned it with isopropyl and was able to get the torch working again. After receiving the warranty replacement I had enough confidence in the company and the product that I purchased one for my wife.

The current D550 kits comes with 2 x 18650 rechargeable batteries. I would not doubt they outsource the batteries from another factory and just stick their label on them or contract to have their label put on them. While I have not had problems with my batteries, perhaps there was a bad batch that other folks have had experience with. Also the batteries have a protection circuit and my understanding is when the voltage drops below as certain level the battery is basically shot unless one has a specialized charger that can "wake" the battery, but I have read there is risk in doing this and it is better to replace them.

The D530 torch comes with 1 x 18650 battery and the only difference from the D550 batteries is the D530 battery has the ability to use a micro usb cable to recharge via a laptop or one can use a dedicated cradle type charger (usb recharging is super slow).

The D550 torch is either double o-ring sealed or triple o-ring sealed...I will look this evening when I arrive home from work and double check and provide an update.

I have used both the D550 and the D530 with gloves, both neoprene and drygloves. The D530 switch sits fairly flush with the body of the torch, it is not hard to push with gloves on but I have always been able to look at the switch when turning it on. If the torch does not move from the position you mount it on the side of your head, then it should be fine to locate and press, but if it does move, it could be frustrating to turn it on off with gloved hands underwater.

Both are good torches and reasonable prices.

-Z

Just got home from work and checked the D550 and the D530...they are both tripple o-ring sealed.

-Z

Just got home from work and checked the D550 and the D530...they are both tripple o-ring sealed.

-Z
Thanks so much for the input so far. I know the d550 has 1000 LM and the d530 has 1300LM. Can you tell a resonable difference? Also the d530 has 30min extra run time and both have 150m rating. But in your opinion (or anyone else) which is a "wiser" choice for a tropical night dive/ day time deep...

Thanks so much for the input so far. I know the d550 has 1000 LM and the d530 has 1300LM. Can you tell a resonable difference? Also the d530 has 30min extra run time and both have 150m rating. But in your opinion (or anyone else) which is a "wiser" choice for a tropical night dive/ day time deep...

The actual brightness difference between the two is nominal.

Based on my experience with both torches, if I had a need right now to purchase another torch for myself, or if I was going to buy one as a gift for a diving friend or famy member for the upcoming holiday season, I would not hesitate to buy another D550 kit.

For the type of diving you described and what you stated you desire for features, either the D550 or D530 are good choices...but the D550 would be easiest to operate one-handed, comes with a spare battery, and they toss in a soft glove type goodman handle as well.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom