IDC recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I live in Texas and my wife and I would like to do the IDC before April. Any recommendations on an PADI IDC in maybe Florida? Bahamas? or someplace nice a few hour flight from Houston? obviously most people have only done one, and do not have much to compare but if you felt your IDC really prepared you to teach competent divers and you have had success since that is good enough for me.

If you had a really bad experience please put it in a PM with some details so I can make an informed decision.

I would recommend Phillipe, who runs IDC's full time in Very Beach, Florida. He does a very good job and I have sent a number of Divemasters to him for training. Just google and you will find him. I am a Course Director myself, but am not presently training instructors.

I would recommend Phillipe, who runs IDC's full time in Very Beach, Florida. He does a very good job and I have sent a number of Divemasters to him for training. Just google and you will find him. I am a Course Director myself, but am not presently training instructors.

That would be E.A.S.E. and I, likewise, recommend Phillipe and Dianne there. Very reasonable also. www.easedivepro.com

Are you planning on teaching in Fla?
If not then I would recomend findind one closer to home. That way you are training in conditions you should be used to.
Just my 2psi

Are you planning on teaching in Fla?
If not then I would recomend findind one closer to home. That way you are training in conditions you should be used to.
Just my 2psi

Why do you say this? I know how to dive in green water with 3ft vis? I also can speak the local language fluently, what is there locally that I might not learn in Florida where it is warm in February and the water is clear and salty? now if you mean not Roatan then please expand as to why you think this. is the instruction very different from IDC to IDC?

I do not expect any IDC to teach me all I need to know to produce the type of divers I intend to produce I expect to have much OJT till I refine my craft but it is a start and I do not expect my first students to suffer any even if I do find the one bad IDC on the planet.

I must also chime in here for KUDOS to EASE and especially Dianne and Phillipe. I just completed my DM with them and am planning to go back for IDC in a few months.

Very nice setup, live on site, room&board included in the reasonable tuition, pool are there, shop near by for any gear you need, nice discount too.
Classroom on site.
The openwater sites vary, crappy green lake as discussed and nice off shore conditions....

Contact Them.........

I did my IDC with Anna Schmitz at Emerald Coast Scuba in Destin FL. The facilities were great--and Anna and everything about the IDC were first rate.

Steve

I did my IDC in British Columbia and live in Florida now and I used to work For Ocean Divers in Key Largo and they run a good IDC.

Why do you say this? I know how to dive in green water with 3ft vis? I also can speak the local language fluently, what is there locally that I might not learn in Florida where it is warm in February and the water is clear and salty? now if you mean not Roatan then please expand as to why you think this. is the instruction very different from IDC to IDC?

I do not expect any IDC to teach me all I need to know to produce the type of divers I intend to produce I expect to have much OJT till I refine my craft but it is a start and I do not expect my first students to suffer any even if I do find the one bad IDC on the planet.

My opinion. I wouldn't do an IDC up north in Feb.

Back
Top Bottom