IDC lesson plan question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Does anybody have an old lesson plan from their IDC they wouldn't mind sharing with me. I've been working on a couple of plans Since class started on Saturday (I'm in a weekend class) and I'm just not sure I'm doing them the way they need to be done. I just think it would help me if I could actually see one that is a known good plan formated correctly. subject is inconsequential, I just need to see formatting and how your writing them out.

Thanks in advance.

Do it the way you believe it to be..It is expected to be improved as the IDC continues.
Just a question here,not to be judgemental,but did you do an AI course with an IDCS instructor before going for the IDC?
I know it is not required but I have found it to be very helpful for people going to an IDC as it prepares them for just what you are looking for.

Oly, thx for the advice. I went straight from DM to IDC. I didn't do the AI course. I probably should have, but at this pint theres no turning back.

Since you just started, you're in the AI portion of the IDC.....the other "half" is the OWSI portion.

Sounds like you're working on microteaching knowledge development sessions?

If so, take a look at p. 3-15 in your Candidate Workbook. These are the criteria you are judged on, so develop your plan using your lesson plan slate and be sure to cover each point required to get a 5 in each section.

I made an outline, and within each section I put points that must be covered to get a 5. Just quick notes to prompt me on what to discuss, so that as I did my presentation I could glance at my outline to keep myself on track and hit each point before moving on.

Use this strategy and do the best you can. It's natural to miss some stuff and it's what your IDCS is there for...to point it out, coach you on what you missed, and try again.

Once you get used to the process....the pattern....the PADI way....you can teach anything off the cuff. This is what IDC is for...to teach you this process...the PADI way.

Oly, thx for the advice. I went straight from DM to IDC. I didn't do the AI course. I probably should have, but at this pint theres no turning back.

Best of luck.Just do not get too worked up about your performance this early on.It will improve.Trust what the course director advises on abilities when you go to IE.If he says "good to go" rest assured that you will do fine.If they say you need a bit more work ,then do what it is to make sure of success at the IE..I've taught quite a few AI and worked at IDC's where I have advised the same thing.
Some are now store owners,one is very successful at the store locally.
Those that heeded the advise went thru the IE no problem,those that insisted on going to IE against my advise have failed ,had to redo it at a later date.One even failed 2 times and succeed at the 3rd, had to fly to a location 1,200 miles away to do it.Still a awful instructor ...takes too many shortcuts,poor control of students in water,etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom