IDC in Phuket. Scuba Cat or...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm.... Maybe I'll have to re-think things a bit. The liability issue is a major concern actually.

But in any case, what would be the standard pay for an instructor for one OW student then? I am of course really interested in that, but I can't seem to find exact numbers anywhere. And what is the PADI share for a student?

My original idea was to take an extended holiday DM:ing (I know I'd be excellent in that), and the idea of instructing is a new one. The thought of increased responsibilities and more "boring" diving has not really been appealing. But now that I've thought about it, I've really started to like the idea of passing on my knowledge and introducing new people to the sport I love.

But, in any case, thanks for your input stevenl. You have given me something to think about.

You will not be able to get a work permit for guiding divers. You could set up a company and make a work permit (factor this into your costs) but guiding is a job for Thai nationals. You would need to be an instructor to work legally.

Consider also four day open water courses.....new instructors normally battle to complete the course in three days especailly with more than one non-perfect student.

There are also other courses besides Open Water....how busy is the dive centre you are going to?

I think you would be lucky to have a good standard of living in Phuket on a DM salary or an in-experienced instructors salary....you should negotiate a monthy salary from your new boss.

The thought of increased responsibilities and more "boring" diving has not really been appealing

I think that are two misconceptions.

Leading certified divers on an underwater tour as DM carries the same responsibility as taking care of student divers in a class.

Diving with student divers is not "more boring" than diving with already certified divers. It's different yes, but in general a lot of fun and very rewarding.

I'm going to work for a dive shop in Phuket for the next season (I already got the job). Now I'm just wondering would it be a good idea to do the IDC before starting working, so I could instruct as well as DM? The shop owner suggested I'd do the IDC, then I could instruct for a week, and DM for a week and so on. Instructing would be paid better, but the work would probably be more "boring" and harder than just DM'ing.

Congratulations on getting the DM job.

Yes, I would follow the advice of the shop owner and do the IDC.
Having your OWSI rating will give you better chances on getting more and different (variation of) work here in Thailand and other places in the world. It's also the only way to become "legally" employed and obtain a work permit.

Instructor work versus DM work is imo not "harder" or "boring". It's just different and both jobs have their tough and easy parts.
DM's in Thailand get in general paid anything from 500 Baht a day up to 1000 Baht per day. The best paid jobs can pay as much as 1200-1500 Baht per day for an experienced certified DM but that's quite unusual. Sometimes DM's get paid per month, possibly around 20.000 Baht or so. It's not easy to get a full-time or well paid DM job in Thailand as a foreign national.

Instructors working as DM (guiding certified divers on a tour) do get around 800-1500 Baht per day. Instructors doing courses get paid different rates for different courses and it also depends how many student are in a class. In general the more students you get the better it pays but money does not just "double up" if you get an extra student. Instructor salaries and commissions are quite diverse at different dive shops. Instructors can make anything between 25.000-60.000 Baht per month (or more) depending where they work, for who they work, how much they work and how many students they get.

But you don't just want to do it for the money right? Or to get some "free" dives under your belt?
This is really a job that you should do because you love to dive.
That's the key to your success on becoming a true diving professional....

Consider also four day open water courses.....new instructors normally battle to complete the course in three days especailly with more than one non-perfect student.

I am not sure if that is possible, I would certainly prefer that in the beginning at least.

There are also other courses besides Open Water....how busy is the dive centre you are going to?

There are other courses too, but OW is by far the most popular.

I think you would be lucky to have a good standard of living in Phuket on a DM salary or an in-experienced instructors salary....you should negotiate a monthy salary from your new boss.

Luckily the pay I get wont be my only income, I'll rent my place back home and that should give me at least 40.000 baht / month. I am hoping, though, that I wouldn't have to touch that money and I could save as much of that as possible for my return home. I don't think I'll be able to negotiate a monthly salary.

Bowmouth:
Ruoska:
The thought of increased responsibilities and more "boring" diving has not really been appealing
I think that are two misconceptions.

Leading certified divers on an underwater tour as DM carries the same responsibility as taking care of student divers in a class.

Diving with student divers is not "more boring" than diving with already certified divers. It's different yes, but in general a lot of fun and very rewarding.

I don't think they are misconceptions. Leading certified divers is not that big a responsibility than taking non certifieds under water for the first time in their lives. After all, certified divers really should know what it is like to be under water, and how to use their equipment and what to do in case something goes wrong, whereas I will really be taking peoples lives in my hands when teaching them to dive.

As for the "boring" part – maybe I should rephrase: The confined water dives ARE more boring fish- and diving-wise, but there certainly is a non-boring element as well for me - the newbie divers I will be teaching to enjoy them selves in the water. I know that will be very rewarding, and I'm not at all concerned about that. Before I was just thinking about doing ONLY DM'ing or doing ONLY instructing. I know I would get "bored" earlier doing only instructing than DM'ing – but I don't really have to worry about that at all, since I would be doing both.

Bowfish:
But you don't just want to do it for the money right? Or to get some "free" dives under your belt?
This is really a job that you should do because you love to dive.
That's the key to your success on becoming a true diving professional....

You are right there. I can dive as much as I like back home, and really enjoy the diving and the tough conditions here so I'm not after some "free" dives - or the money at the moment for that matter. I do love diving, and this would be my chance to see if I really enjoy the work so much that I would start pursuing a career. I have dived in so many different places and so many different conditions (well, many and many - I'm not saying I'm the most experienced guy there is, far from it) that I feel like I could have something to give to other (and future) divers as well.

Thanks for the replies so far, I really appreciate it!

I don't think they are misconceptions. Leading certified divers is not that big a responsibility than taking non certifieds under water for the first time in their lives. After all, certified divers really should know what it is like to be under water, and how to use their equipment and what to do in case something goes wrong, whereas I will really be taking peoples lives in my hands when teaching them to dive.

I stick to my point of view: regardless if a diver is certified or not your responsibility towards such a person when you are guiding or teaching a course to such a diver is absolutely the same.
And it's really a misconception that guiding certified divers is an "easy" job. More often than not you will notice that certified divers need lots of attention when on a tour. It's not unusual that certified divers are unable to properly set up their equipment or do a smooth giant-stride entry. And then there are those who think they know it all and really do not care or pay attention to anything you have to say to them in your pre-dive briefing. Underwater, they often are all over the place (one stuck in the coral and one bobbing on the surface...)

Back
Top Bottom