IDC Choices: 2 Week vs 12 Month Internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there divers, I'm here hoping to get some suggestions from certified instructors. I am currently a PADI Divemaster/EFR Instructor with more than 10 years of diving under my belt, 3 of them as a PADI Pro. I have run multiple EFR classes, Discover SCUBA's, and refreshers in this time. I also DM for at least one open water class per week.

I am ready to make the move to instructor and am antsy to get started, but this year's one local (Midwest) instructor examination I cannot make due to a family wedding.
Because of this, my options are to fly to Florida and do a week and a half IDC with Rainbow Reef or the like, or wait until next year to do my class and train with a local instructor, in the diving conditions I will be instructing in for the foreeable future (cold water quarry/lake diving).

I wanted to get some information on the general vibe in the professional sphere with both avenues. The 9 day IDC's scream "just get you through and get the card" to me, as all my education up to this poimt has been multi-month or multi-year classes. To those that have been through IDC/IE, what are your opinions either way? Do you "look down" on instructors who were certified at one of the "mill" dive centers?

Thanks so much for your help!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't look down on them but there are more than a few I've personally seen who I wouldn't get in the pool with. They know how to do everything by the book but when it comes to dealing with something or someone not in the book or wasn't covered in their IDC, they get the deer in the headlights look.

Now, that said, you are in a different boat so to speak. You have been, in effect, doing an IDC for the last 3 years with what you have been doing as a DM. Totally different than the muppet who rushed from OW to instructor in 6 months. I understand what you mean as my YMCA instructor development lasted nearly a year and included a couple technical certs from NAUI in the process. I did my OW portion of the Instructor exam in a drysuit in the rain, 56 degree air temps, 54 degree water, with "students" in 6 mil famer johns and drysuits. Taught my first class a week later. Owner of the shop gave me three students and said "here ya go. Get em done." And after team teaching and DMing for the past year I was ready.

Where in Ohio are you? I can't believe that there isn't another IDC in Ohio with the number of CD's and centers that are there that could fit your schedule. Andy Silverman at Columbus Scuba, Patrix Heschel, Rich Synowiec is in Michigan but has the concession at White Star, are just three off the top of my head who regularly run IDC's. I personally know all of them and can vouch for all three as being people who would not just rubber stamp your certification.

Going to one of them would be better than going to Florida because there's a good chance you can do the IDC in a drysuit or at least part of it that will be necessary for Ohio quarries.

VikingDives

Mostly Harmless
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey there divers, I'm here hoping to get some suggestions from certified instructors. I am currently a PADI Divemaster/EFR Instructor with more than 10 years of diving under my belt, 3 of them as a PADI Pro. I have run multiple EFR classes, Discover SCUBA's, and refreshers in this time. I also DM for at least one open water class per week.

I am ready to make the move to instructor and am antsy to get started, but this year's one local (Midwest) instructor examination I cannot make due to a family wedding.
Because of this, my options are to fly to Florida and do a week and a half IDC with Rainbow Reef or the like, or wait until next year to do my class and train with a local instructor, in the diving conditions I will be instructing in for the foreeable future (cold water quarry/lake diving).

I wanted to get some information on the general vibe in the professional sphere with both avenues. The 9 day IDC's scream "just get you through and get the card" to me, as all my education up to this poimt has been multi-month or multi-year classes. To those that have been through IDC/IE, what are your opinions either way? Do you "look down" on instructors who were certified at one of the "mill" dive centers?

You probably know this, but I'm not sure based on your post... You can do your idc and ie in totally different places. Often your course director will go with you if you're doing something locally, but that isn't required. I had a pretty marginal IDC in Mexico and then took my IE in Texas.

If I were looking to do an IDC now, I'd want to know what specifically is taught.

In your IE you have two exams, one is a five part that includes dive physics and physiology along with three other easier topics. IIRC, if you fail any one of the parts, you have failed that exam. My IDC had 0 instruction on physics and physiology. My buddy and I had to teach ourselves this material - make sure your idc covers it...

The second written test is standards, and that's open book. It isn't terribly hard if you know where you're looking in the instructor's manual and have tabbed it during IDC.

Classroom presentations are kind of silly, rote exercises. Everyone teaches the hell out of these.

There are confined water presentations and open water. Use your cards, or better, create a cheat sheet that you can just read in the water. There are no points off for reading verbatim from your card. The other question is, how much time will you be spending in CW working skills? My idc had about 4 hours of pool time, which I didn't think was adequate.

Open water is much like confined, but make sure that you're practicing your dive rescue exercise (or have mastered it before you go). Make sure you know how to tie all the knots in AOW.

That's a long unsolicited answer to stuff you didn't ask, but I hope it's helpful.

Cap335

Captain
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
As an old store owner whenever we have gotten a new instructor we start by putting him with a trusted instructor so that we can have an independent assessment.

sabbe

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

What does your current employer have to say about it?

Using my GI Bill I went with PADI then crossed over to SSI for my local shop. Since I was not their student they require me to intern (work for free) for three courses for each course I want to teach.

How much work will actually gain by becoming an instructor now vs next season?

There is some value in going through a mill and just getting it done. My DM shop worked me for several years as a DM candidate trying to get all the checkboxes completed because they didn't have the student load. To be fair I also work half the weekends for my main job.

Sam

Tracy

Tech Instructor / Captain
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Being in Ohio, you have several options for an on-demand IDC and IE.
Both underwater connections in Columbus and Davey Bones in Barberton. Both can do in house IDC and IE.
I would reach out locally before heading to the keys for a week.

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have recommended Ross Neill at Rainbow Reef to many of our local divers who decided to train other than here (Kwajalein). Rainbow Reef is going to teach you how to use PADI’s teaching system…just like most other IDC programs. It will be up to you how you implement it. How to mix your style into your courses.

Jim Lapenta just wrote/posted a great list of recommendations for a Rescue Course. On this list you can see a lot of Jim’s style and years of experience. That is what makes a good instructor, not their IDC.

Many times some of these “Instructor Factories” get a bad reputation because they create Zeros to Heros in bulk. But take a look at yourself. You have been diving 10 years, a DM for 3 years locally, taught EFR, and assisted with other courses. I think Rainbow Reef would be a great fit for you. Take the IDC and IE in two weeks then go back home and help with a class or two locally. Now you’re ready to start your own journey as an instructor. You will be learning as much as your students. It can be quite the experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Top Bottom