ID this fish from LbtS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigfunctions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - I saw this fish while snorkeling at Lauderdale by the Sea, south of the pier, in about 15 ft of water. I couldn't get a decent picture because it was skittish, so I've attached one and a frame from a video. It was about 12 inches long. I'm pretty sure I know what it is but I won't say so that you can have fun figuring it out (hopefully).

Sea Robin (Prionotus sp) not sure which one exactly...
Rick

I do agree with Prionotus spp., I have it narrowed down to ~3 species that it could possibly be and none of them look quite right, Ill do some more searching and see what I can find.

Thanks guys - I knew it was a sea robin but I'm trying to find out whcih one. It didn't look like the two in the Paul Humann book (Bandtail or Leopard). I haven't found an exact match online, although I thought I saw a picture of a Bighead Searobin that looked like it could be it. I've uploaded two more vidcaps that show more detail in the wings. Also, I notice the black patch in the dorsal fin that may help with ID. It was really fun to see this fish. If anyone can figure it out, let me know. Thanks!

Based on head size and shape, pec fin size, shape, and length...i think it is an interestingly pigmented Prionotus tribulus.

Based on head size and shape, pec fin size, shape, and length...i think it is an interestingly pigmented Prionotus tribulus.

That's what I thought, based on this picture:
Bighead Searobin - Prionotus tribulus

The scrawled markings on the face look similar, along with the pattern on the wings. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom