I'd like to buy an IP gauge; would like to understand differences between two types.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Sparkle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to buy an IP gauge so that I can check my own regs. Right now I don't plan to service them myself, but I would not rule that out in the future.

My question comes in because I see two different types for sale (and this seems to be common at more than one source).

One is like this one, which runs about $16 and seems to be the basic one:

RG1269-480.jpg

The compact 1.5-inch diameter, ultra-lightweight, dual scale (PSI and BAR), intermediate-pressure gauge is ready to go with you anywhere. Perfect for helping diagnose problems in the field, it plugs into any standard BC low-pressure inflator hose.

And the other the "deluxe," which is about $50:

INV-CX0221_1-640.jpg

Quickly check and adjust regulator intermediate pressures by plugging in to the low-pressure QD BC hose. The Deluxe IP Check Gauge makes precise IP adjustment faster with easy to use bleed (twist in either direction) that gives a quick vent and an over-pressure relief valve set at 200 psi. The large 2-inch diameter gauge has a protective rubber boot and dual scales (PSI and BAR) with accuracy of 1.5% throughout the entire range.

I don't know what a "bleed" is. Is the difference that you can only check the IP with the first one, but can check AND adjust it with the second one?

I don't mind spending money on quality tools (if I have a use for them), but I would like to understand what I might gain or lose by choosing one of these IP gauges over the other.

It probably does not matter, but my reg set is a Zeagle Flathead VI first stage, with ZX and Envoy second stages.

Thank you!
Blue Sparkle

Hello,
You CANNOT adjust the IP of a reg with either unit, it only measures the reg's IP. "Bleed" is feature that allows you to vent the gas pressure so you can more easily remove the IP gauge from the BC LP hose as it's more difficult to remove an IP gauge with 'air' pressurizing the system (although you can depressurize the system by pressing the 2nd-stage purge valve too.) The overpressure relief valve keeps things from exploding if the IP is way too high by providing an air 'outlet'

I bought the cheap one......

It hooks up to the LP inflator hose when using it......

So your second stages are your over pressure protection - they will simply free flow....

They are also your "bleed" if you need to depressurize the system.....

If you were checking something like a drysuit Argon bottle first stage then the extra features would make sense......

Hope this helps......M

I have type #1. I use it to check the i.p. with all of my regs. It's good enough for what I need.

I overhaul my Apeks regs with the same i.p. gauge. I suppose there is some risk that the i.p. will be higher than 200 psi, and with no overpressure valve, this could wreck the gauge. But this would only happen if I installed something incorrectly and if I neglected to attach a properly adjusted second stage (which would serve as an overpressure valve).

scubafanatic is correct. Neither i.p. gauge will allow you to adjust the i.p. on your first stage. Typically, this is done on a pressurized first stage by turning the spring adjuster with a hex key.

Type #1 is small, light, accurate enough, and affordable. That's what I'd recommend getting.

Hmm. So although it goes against my grain (but *with* my wallet!) maybe this is a case where the "cheaper" tool is perfectly good for my use? (Since I am not checking IP's on fifty regulators per day where it might get old to have to bleed pressure a less-efficient way.)

Thanks! (And I'll check back for any more comments, so please don't let me discourage anyone else from piping in.)

Edit: Bubbletrubble, we were both typing at the same time - thanks for the additional input. I guess I'm going to have some "extra" money to spend on other dive gear/tools :)

I have type #1. I use it to check the i.p. with all of my regs. It's good enough for what I need.

... Type #1 is small, light, accurate enough, and affordable. That's what I'd recommend getting.

1+. I also have type #1, and usually take it with my "save a dive" tool kit when I go diving.

I have a somewhat more "fancy" IP gauge that I use when servicing my regs.... but honestly, the one we've mentioned is more than accurate enough... the "fancy" one I use just has a larger face, making it easier on my old eyes if I'm working on my regs late at night :wink:

Best wishes.

The bells and whistles are unnecessary as long as you are testing a first stage with a 2nd stage attached. Tat 2nd get you the bleed (cycle) capability and the overpressure protection. I'd suggest you opt for #1. I made both my IP gauges. You need a gauge of suitable scale and an adapter to go from NPT to a scuba connection. #1 is probably a fairly cheap gauge and the adapter that connects to you LPI connection.

I used a $20 Craftsman automobile compression gauge for one. And I used a $5 water pressure measuring gauge for the other. The adapter runs around $10.

It isn't that difficult to disconnect the first type when the system is pressurized. I can't imagine wanting to spend $30 or more just to get a bleed.

(We made our own IP guage with stuff we got from the hardware store, but I believe it was close to the price you listed for the first type.)

The more expensive might be more accurate, but unless you need to set your regs at a very specific IP, that's not that important. Mostly you're checking for IP creep and recovery.

Back
Top Bottom