ID a Stroke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhadamanthus:
Exactly my point. In the "cyberworld" you judge people by what they post. Same as in the real world. It is actually much easier to judge people on the 'net since you don't have to worry about distractions such as ethnicity / dress / car they drive / etc.

I don't see how it is relevant. Either you agree with them or you don't. 1 dive, 100 dives, 1000 dives, PADI, SSI, GUE, DIR, DIC, DIW. What it seems like is a lot of people want to prejudge posts / posters by their profile information. I've seen a LOT of this on this board. What it boils down to is either the info is good or it isn't.

Well, you can't consider the source until you know it. Profile information doesn't give you the necessary tools to make that judgement. What someone POSTS is what gives you those tools. Back to wanting to prejudge people based on their profiles. In the real world you don't have that information either in a lot of cases. Back to my party point. You won't talk to someone unless you know some background information on them first? <I know you will, or you wouldn't be talking to me. I'm just trying to make the point>

The reference was to a party. Those are the types of things that might come up in that situation. It was meant as an illustration.

Did you not call me a stroke? :eyebrow:

Heh, it is simply a conversation. I'm not upset, that is why I put the smily there. It is all in the interest of becoming better; divers, people, what have you.

Maybe I'm wrong!

Rhad

OK examples.
In another post I was talking about home generators and a member responded. I looked at his profile and saw he was in the building trade so I assume he has some knowledge in this area.

If I ask a question about repairing a car and I see a respondent is a mecanic then it lends a little more creadence than the guy that tinkers with cars as a hobby on a weekend.

I have to disagree on the ethnicity question. myself being born and raised in GB find that I sometimes have different values or do things differently than my US counterparts. Not that one is right or wrong it is that things are done different in different parts of the US let alone the world, this is where a profile helps. If you and I differ on a subject and I look at your profile and say ah thats the way they do it there or you only have ten dives ha he is new and maybe he has not heard of this yet.

1-1000 dives the info may or may not be good PADI do's this but SSI do's not, if I see in your profile you are %$#^ trained then I know where its coming from. I don't bash agency's they teach what they think is correct then it is up to the individual and his experiences.

Did I call you a stroke yes, as you called me a stroke, I have dived solo with no back up other than the octopus. Its just an opinion.

I am sorry if age experience bothers you but people do take this into account, thats life.

cdiver2:
For all I know about someone that has not filled out a profile they may be anything from a delinquent adolescent to a escapee from an asylum.
Like they would fill that in if they were?

Maybe the folks who don't fill in their profile just haven't discovered it yet, or haven't done enough of this to know to go looking for such a thing on the site, or it hasn't occured to them yet how it might be helpful, or they just think it's no one's business.

pipedope:
Remember, the original 'deep stops' of the modern era was simply to empty the swim bladder of the fish that was collected on the dive.

Thank you Pipedope,

a Stroke is anyone that doesnt know that deep stops were actually designed to stop FISH getting DCI not humans!

Damselfish:
Like they would fill that in if they were?

Maybe the folks who don't fill in their profile just haven't discovered it yet, or haven't done enough of this to know to go looking for such a thing on the site, or it hasn't occured to them yet how it might be helpful, or they just think it's no one's business.

In some case's but this topic has come up in the past and some people have said they would not fill in a profile. I don't understand why there are better/more experienced divers on this board than me and I will bow down to a more knowledgeable person but first I need to know that they are.

cancun mark:
Thank you Pipedope,

a Stroke is anyone that doesnt know that deep stops were actually designed to stop FISH getting DCI not humans!

Yep. RGBM is the model of choice for fish caught in deep water.

MikeFerrara:
Yep. RGBM is the model of choice for fish caught in deep water.

But that does not nessicarily make them DIR!

cancun mark:
But that does not nessicarily make them DIR!

Correct. Only fish who have actually been GUE trained can really be called DIR and then only when diving with other GUE trained fish.

rhadamanthus:
So, how do you all ID a stroke? Please give real world examples, without ID'ing the perp :eyebrow:

Here's mine:

You are chatting with someone on the boat and you hear the following all in one sentence; "couldn't find a buddy" "solo" and "hunting".

Rhad

Ooh, ooh... here's mine: Other people seem to like them, they're not preoccupied with judging everyone else on the boat, and they seem to be having fun.

Someone that says they won't go to a non-DIR person and ask for air when they are in a OOA situation because they do not know how the non-DIR diver will react when asked to share air.

MikeFerrara:
Correct. Only fish who have actually been GUE trained can really be called DIR and then only when diving with other GUE trained fish.

But which is the primary gill? the left mounted gill or the right mounted gill?

10 reasons why FISH should be DIR:

they do not use dive computers.
they can back up without using their hands.
they have redundant gas supply (gills)
they NEVER kneel on the bottom
no fish would be seen dead wearing an Air2
they dont smoke
they dont drink alcohol
their exposure protection comes with factory installed P-valve
their trim and bouyancy is exceptional
most of them can dive deeper and longer than JJ and GI3

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom