ICON HD Net Ready Malfunctioning (depth)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver4242

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I really need help after two dives ruined by the malfunctioning Mares ICON HD Net Ready computer. I posted in the Mares Dive Computer Tech Assistance thread, is that the right place or post here?

Basically, July 22 it worked fine on the first dive. At surface between dives, it suddenly started beeping like crazy and signaling max operating depth (432 feet!). It was fine before that as I was checking the first dive stats. This was essentially sea level after a fresh water dive and it was in the shade, not overheated.

I tried again today (same place, Dutch Springs PA) and this time it didn't record any depth during the dive at all, hence kept turning off since it didn't think it was submerged. I had it in dive mode and it did show my correct tank pressure.

I have it at the latest/current firmware, not sure what else to do? Thanks for any help.

Sounds like the pressure sensor is dead. I think you'll need to send it to Mares for a repair.

Ugh, don't want to go that route if I don't have to. Is there a way to reset the computer and see if that works first? I have it backed up with Mares Dive Log software.

Factory reset.
2.2.3. ABOUT ICON HD
This submenu provides various information
about the hardware and software of your Icon
HD . It also lists information about the use
of the dive computer, such as longest dive,
deepest dive, total number of dives and total
dive time. These can be individually reset to
0 by pressing the right button (RESET). In
addition, you can revert to the original settings
configuration via the FACTORY RESET option
(this option is not available while there is
remaining desaturation in the computer). The
option FACTORY MAINTENANCE is for use by
authorized personnel only.

Update: the computer worked on a dive today, perhaps the factory reset worked, perhaps it was chance.

However, the experience was troubling. Mares, if you're listening, I don't think I'll be buying any more of your stuff. The email addresses listed for support both bounced (drak@softwaremares.com, iris@softwaremares.com), it's hard to get in touch with you, you apparently don't bother to monitor your sections here on the largest diver discussion area on the internet. Not a good look, and I no longer trust my expensive Mares dive computer that only has 40 dives on it and has been well maintained and kept immaculately clean. I already went through the battery dead and replacement debacle with this computer, so it's been a source of frustration, not enjoyment.

However, the experience was troubling. Mares, if you're listening, I don't think I'll be buying any more of your stuff. The email addresses listed for support both bounced (drak@softwaremares.com, iris@softwaremares.com), it's hard to get in touch with you, you apparently don't bother to monitor your sections here on the largest diver discussion area on the internet. Not a good look, and I no longer trust my expensive Mares dive computer that only has 40 dives on it and has been well maintained and kept immaculately clean. I already went through the battery dead and replacement debacle with this computer, so it's been a source of frustration, not enjoyment.

When my Icon HD charger exploded, and they didn't seem to care, I almost gave up on them. Even thought I could show it was a manufacturing fault, they merely wrote it off as a "one off". Didn't even offer me anything other than a replacement charger.
The battery replacement pack costs like $250. For a 18650 batter and an o-ring. They never fixed the random date/time change. Constant charging issues. And finally the main button on one of the units died. That was the end, the two Icon HD's are now in the junk pile.

Back
Top Bottom