Icon HD firmware upgrade failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dguzz

New
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm new to this forum, so I hope this is the correct place for this post.
I just got an Icon HD and noticed that the firmware was the .11 one.
On the Mares website there was already the .12 and .14.
I downloaded the .14 firmware and, after upgrading the Dive Organizer to the latest version, I started the firmware upgrade procedure.
The Dive Organizer started erasing the flash memory and then began to program the Icon HD...
Alas, at about 15-20% of the process, the Dive Organizer came out with a "Communication Error... Please connect the device again to continue the programming" (or something like this... they were not the exact words).
I tried to disconnect and connect again, but the software completely crashed and closed (run on Windows XP).
Now the Icon HD is not working anymore, presenting on the screen the message: "Checksum ERROR. Connect USB cable to program device."
The problem is that the device is no more recognized by the PC and so the Dive Organizer does not allow me to try to write again the new firmware...
If you have any suggestion, I would appreciate a lot.
Thank you.

dguzz,

Obviously, having a connection problem during a firmware upgrade is not a good thing. Your firmware is now corrupted, thus the Check Sum error. Try the following step and see if this helps with the connection.

Step 1: Do not start with your Icon HD attached to the USB (either on the desktop computer or the ICON HD). Just leave it on the table.
Step 2: Launch DiveOrganizer.
Step 3: Clip on the connector to your ICON HD. Make sure all four prongs are making contact with the ICON. Now, Connect the USB cable (small one) to your ICON Connector only. Remember at this point keep it disconnect to the desktop computer.
Step 4: Connect the USB to the computer.

Hopefully, this will give you a notification of connection (COM3) on your desktop - To verify go to: START ---> DEVICES AND PRINTERS. This should show the ICON as a device if the connection is there.

At this point, if connected ---> In DiveOrganizer --->Go to "Computer" on top bar and click. Hopefully the drop down is NOT "Grayed out". If selectable, go to "Firmware Update" and start it.

If all of this fails, you will need to contact Mares tech support. This unit may need to be sent back to them but call first as they may have other ideas.

NabooDiver

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, but - luckily - after few hours spent in trying to connect the device to different computers, I was able to program it again with the new firmware 1.14.
I do not know why but only on one PC, and not at the first time, the "upgrade firmware" was not grayed out in the Dive Organizer.
Anyway, again, thank you very much.

P.S.
Does someone know the improvement on the 1.14? Visually I cannot see any difference, apart from the altitude (A0 instead of A1)... Perhaps only the calculation tables have been updated? The Mares site doesn't tell anything about the differences...

Mares sucks totally
MY wife's BCD inflate valve failed on a dive, started inflating itself, BRAND NEW
MY Reg failed underwater
GAWD!
Her Mares HD ICON packed it in on an uncontrolled ascent last week
MY HD Icon packed it in on a firmware update

Mares used ot have good gear,,its crap now and I would never buy another piece of Mares **** ever!

The software sucks, the support sucks, the dealers who carry it can't wait to end their contracts ,,,do not buy Mares gear

They will fight to not honor their warranty as well.

Buy any other brands of scuba gear except Mares,,,too bad I loved my Icon too

Last Download 2.00
Update Version 1.14
Update Version 1.11
Update Version 1.12
Update Version 2.00

What the hell is the latest one? Mine which is the 2.00?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom