Ice diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

come to my neck of the woods where i have over 60 inches of ice for 8 months of the year. i have one lake thats over 100 feet of water 10 feet from the shore line and is in a valley thats only about 200 foot wide. i find it perfect for training as you dont get disorentended and its very diver friendly.
Are you diving in Harrie Lake?

to prevent face freezing is good to use FFM, even selfmade
h-1358.jpg
(me :) )

Ice diving is nice.
h-1227.jpg

But water temperature could be even -1 or -2 C. (salt water)

and one nice video for you :) (not mine)

What kind of regulators are required for this? Certainly a sealed diaphram first stage. How about second stages? Is anything EN250-rated good enough?

What kind of regulators are required for this? Certainly a sealed diaphram first stage. How about second stages? Is anything EN250-rated good enough?

Any quality reg that is designed for cold water use. Sealed piston regs like SP or Atomic are fine too. Doesn't need to be diaphragm design.

Any quality reg that is designed for cold water use. Sealed piston regs like SP or Atomic are fine too. Doesn't need to be diaphragm design.
Thanks for your input! I should have mentioned that my curent and only first stage is a Mk25 from 2006. I don't think it is sealed. They do not have a good reputation for very cold water. However, others have said that they haven't had problems, so if you think it might be okay then maybe it is worth trying. There is only one way to find out, I guess.

Thanks for your input! I should have mentioned that my curent and only first stage is a Mk25 from 2006. I don't think it is sealed. They do not have a good reputation for very cold water. However, others have said that they haven't had problems, so if you think it might be okay then maybe it is worth trying. There is only one way to find out, I guess.

The Mk25 has a reputation to free flow in cold water. All the discussion I have seen suggests this is due to it's high performance and too much gas flow hence too much adiabatic cooling. As I understand it the recommendation is to "de-tune" this model for very cold applications. This rather raises the question of what use is a high performance reg if it needs to be downgraded to use in cold water? personally therefore I have never bought this model and get by with a Mk11 (which is faultless and cheaper).

I would be nervous of a Mk25 in cold water at any depth. This might be unfair, but I can only go on what I have read on this and other forums.

I use either SP MK-17/G250, HOG D1-cold/Classic, or (top choice) my double hoses (Argonauts Kraken or DA with a Phoenix/HPR).

All diaphragm, and all sealed.

YMMV

as I have said my sp mk 20 and 25s have been under the ice multiple times its all in how you prepare them , @rhwestfall can testify to that , we have VERY few free lows on our course usually on second dives .......steve

as I have said my sp mk 20 and 25s have beeb under the ice multiple times its all in how you prepare them ,

Would you be kind enough to share with us what you do to prepare them? I am genuinely interested in gaining that knowledge.

I do nothing to prepare my Mk11s or the Mk17s I had previously. I have never had a freeflow. If I owned a reg that freeflowed more than once I would bin it, fortunately my SP don't - ever. I have Apeks as well and they don't. Ever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom