Ice diving thread (who is doing it?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taking my first class upcoming February at Square Lake in Minnesota. Training platforms at ~15 ft depth, pretty basic training site. Hope to find a few teammates to explore other frozen lakes in the area. Considering shopping around for a chainsaw I can buy myself for Christmas! :D Diving a drysuit, drygloves, 10mm hood, twins with an isolation manifold.

I was doing it when young. This photo was my first dive under the ice, it was march 1976, I was 17 years old, just certified with a Cmas **, using a wet suit, dual bottle, an Aquilon regulator and no BCD. Sorry for it being small and low quality...
View attachment 549302
The site was Lago Santo, in the mountains above Parma, Italy. Approximately 1500 meters altitude, ice thickness was 110cm. It did take one whole day of work cutting the hole...

Yup. Y'all are batshit crazy and God bless you for it. It's people like you who cut the way for rest of us.

Not here for sure! Especially today, well over 38C (100F).

Absolutely. I’ve diving is fun. Though the preparations less so. I’ve yet to ice dive my CCR. Might try this season. With a drysuit, attached dryhood and FFM it’s not that cold. Added bonus, being completely dry after the dive makes it a lot more pleasant.

We're hoping to do a few more ice dives this year in Lake Champlain.

Here's a video from last year's dive

50775308_10100987763112159_1689844862452498432_o (2).jpg

502B2CEC-7C9C-43A2-84E4-6C49BAAFF741.jpeg
I've made a few inquiries about potentially running one near Tobermory - or at the very least, going there with a bunch of already certified ice divers. Nothing is really figured out yet, though.
Groundhog Divers in Kitchener did one last year at the DoLime Quarry. Ask if they’ll run another one.

This is the 3rd winter now that I've said to myself, I'd like to make 1 more ice dive while I still can but my enthusiasm isn't what is once was.
Lake winnipesaukee_1972_2.jpg
And I hate the cold now more than I did then.
Lake winnipesaukee_1972_1.jpg

Maybe memories will have to do.

Lake Winnipesaukee, NH 1978

Back
Top Bottom