"Ice diving" - forgot my dive gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was up in Burlington, VT a few years back on Valentines Day for a rallyX. The daytime high was 2F with a decent wind. Those maniacs cut a hole in the ice of Champlain and people jumped in to support the American Heart Association. BRRRRRRRR

I've trained Georgia National Guard among others, in winter disciplines. Now I'm just a "weekender".

I was kind of cunfused about how the Norwegian military worked, the folks I worked with were saying they were basically reservists but they had volunteered to be deployed for a year or something like that. They tried to explain it, apparently there were some really sweet benefits, but it just didn't make any sense at all to me.

Honestly though, I've probably worked with at least two dozen different militaries and the Wegians (as we affectionatly called them) were by far the coolest. Well, except for all the fish. I got a little sick of eating fish. But other than that, they know how to go to a war. :D

Oh, and nothing hotter than a hot Norwegian woman manning the gun on top of a Sisu.

I was kind of cunfused about how the Norwegian military worked, the folks I worked with were saying they were basically reservists but they had volunteered to be deployed for a year or something like that. They tried to explain it, apparently there were some really sweet benefits, but it just didn't make any sense at all to me.

Honestly though, I've probably worked with at least two dozen different militaries and the Wegians (as we affectionatly called them) were by far the coolest. Well, except for all the fish. I got a little sick of eating fish. But other than that, they know how to go to a war. :D

Oh, and nothing hotter than a hot Norwegian woman manning the gun on top of a Sisu.

Yeah, maybe. My unit received notice we'd get 14 of those Sisus. I have noe idea what we'd use them for, but they'd be great for recruiting I am sure! :D

Our International Operations (INTOPS) Forces are manned partly by professional soldiers and officers, and partly by reservist* volonteering by signing a contract. I'm considering it. My payment with the rank of captain will likely be USD 11.000 a month. Sweet perhaps, but tough work for sure. And remember, it's YOUR USD that is low right now :eyebrow:

*We have mandatory (well, sort of...) military service here, and most of us with military service can be trained and get ready for INTOPS in less than 6 weeks.

That website certainly looks interesting. Unfortunatly the only Norwegian I learned is pretty useless unless I need to tell someone that I just sharted. :D

So, is that a pretty common theme in Norway? Dishing out Sisus like they're going out of style? The folks I was with had them, and had the same complaint. They honestly didn't need them, or know what to do with them so they essentially just became really cool toys.

Hah, KOMPRESSOR, love the photos!

While we're at it, if you have the time please read this poster:

http://www.kristoffers-minnefond.no/bilder_poster/poster_english_1240.jpg

Kristoffer was one of our guys (in my unit for two years). He lost his life in November in Afghanistan only 22 years old. I think he must have been one of the finest yuong guys I've ever met. While serving in Afghanistan he singlehanded managed to get Norwegian companies to contribute with more than 50.000 USD worth of sports gear to crank start soccer clubs for young kids in Meymaneh. He served as the personal driver of the head of our forces there. In September he was hit by the first road bomb, but made it because his car was armoured. He kept to his post, although it must have been really scary, and the car he was driving was a total wreck after beeing thrown 50 feet into the air. In november he was hit again, and killed instantly. The world isn't fair at all. To me young Kristoffer is a hero, and he will always be. I'm facing his friends and family every week in my local comunity, and it hurts like crazy every time. We buried him here in November and the church yard has never evern been so crowded, as "everyone" seems to have a connection to this outstanding young guy. I was only head of the military guard at the ceremony, but I tell you I haven't been so crushed in my life except when my own mother passed away some years ago.

I'm telling you this because I know that every death of a soldier we hear about causes the same pains all over the world. When you hear in the news that 2 European soldiers here and 5 US soldiers there are killed, it's a tragedy. I hope we'll see and end to this...

Kristoffers Minnefond
(Turn on your speakers and watch...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom