Ice Diving Extravaganza dates set for Feb 6-9th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TxIceDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As fall approaches and the water temperatures start to drop, my attention turns to the thoughts of dry suits and ice diving.

For those hardy souls that are up for a completely different type of adventure in diving, come join us and become one of the elite members of the Texas Swampers Ice Diving section.

I will once again be traveling to Lake Okoboji, IA to dive under the ice. The trip dates are set for Feb 6th-9th. Stay tuned for further details.

Randy

Ice Diving :confused: What is that ???
You mean you cut a hole in the ice and then jump in ? :D

Randy, when will be the cut off date? I will have to see if I will be in Academy by then, but if not I am there.

Ryan, The cutoff date is about 2 weeks prior to departure. Sometime in the last couple of weeks of January I will have the classroom portion of the class (3-4hrs of instruction). I would need to have commitment by then. (i.e. payment).

I do need to have a minumum of 6 divers to have an ice operation even work. As far as the class goes, the ratio is 8 students to 1 instructor, if we have more than 8 students sign up, I do have access to another ice instructor so we can handle 16 students. (which would be alot)

The price for the speciality itself is $250. Then there are the travel and expenses.

I will provide a post later in the week with a full set of details. I will also have a free orientation class in the next few weeks for anyone that is interested in just finding out more information or just merely curious.

Randy

Cool video :)

Well, what can I say?
I think it's a cool video; but that's just me :D

Thanks Randy ! ! !

Water temp (as I recall): was a pretty consistent 37 F.
Before some one gets upset at the inconsistency in the physics of that, there are reasons for that. It's 37 F at depth. Obviously, physics says that the water/ice transition phase must occur at 32 F when the ambient pressure is 1013 mbar.

Water temp (as I recall): was a pretty consistent 37 F.
Before some one gets upset at the inconsistency in the physics of that, there are reasons for that. It's 37 F at depth. Obviously, physics says that the water/ice transition phase must occur at 32 F when the ambient pressure is 1013 mbar.

Well hell I have dove wet in Similar water temps, diving dry should not be a problem. :D

Back
Top Bottom