Ice diving course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To support your statement, I had a frozen inflator in 6°C water; in my case, it was nothing serious (the frozen inflator was filling the wing relatively slowly, and I had managed to disconnect it very quickly), but the water was 6°C (that is, relatively warm with respect to the context we are discussing)... At lower temperatures, I am sure everything happens faster and more seriously (we don't need a degree in physics to understand it).

Cold has to be taken seriously.

Are you saying that some people actually teach to go ice diving without lines? o_O:eek:

i cant confirm this.....but i recall hearing that they dive without lines in Antartica.....

regarding the inflators....that is a very real problem...i dive with mine disconnected....when going through training, we had a few people who had theirs freeze open, fortunately they were very shallow when theirs froze, and they hadnt gone under the ice yet....but even "cold water" equipment struggles when the water is near freezing temperatures.

gear goes in the water, gear stays under the water.... don't put it up in the air

yes some instructors do and yes i think the anartics do dive without lines

regarding the inflators....that is a very real problem...i dive with mine disconnected....when going through training, we had a few people who had theirs freeze open, fortunately they were very shallow when theirs froze, and they hadnt gone under the ice yet....but even "cold water" equipment struggles when the water is near freezing temperatures.

unfortunately disconnected also creates other issues - especially if diving large doubles and/or with a stage

yes some instructors do and yes i think the anartics do dive without lines

Instructors who do so in "standard" ice diving conditions -> it sounds crazy, but I don't know enough to judge

"The antartics" -> maybe is there anything special about this environment that makes diving without lines a smart approach?

Instructors who do so in "standard" ice diving conditions -> it sounds crazy, but I don't know enough to judge

"The antartics" -> maybe is there anything special about this environment that makes diving without lines a smart approach?
endless visibility, no silt,

potentially shifting ice though

endless visibility, no silt,

potentially shifting ice though

I can't imagine why endless visibility would make lines useless... but I still need another 5-10 years before diving the poles, so for now I can wait :D

I can't imagine why endless visibility would make lines useless... but I still need another 5-10 years before diving the poles, so for now I can wait :D
because you can see the limited sun streaming through the only hole from a km away

Back
Top Bottom