Ice diving course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in Michigan and looking to extend my diving season a bit. Ice diving looks like an interesting option, but I'm having a hard time finding a shop with either ice diving charters or classes on their calendar. I'm also concerned about doing a class like this with some random instructor.

My OW cert is through PADI, but all my specialties (and AOW) are through SDI and I tend to prefer the more rigorous SDI coursework. I have a bit of overhead experience (Bonne Terre mine) but nothing compared to what I'd expect with ice.

Any suggestions on how I might pursue this?

I'm also concerned about doing a class like this with some random instructor.
@abnfrog

You and Rox up for it this year? (@rhwestfall)

If so, I'm in for a refresher or whatever you want to call it. I could enjoy earning one more card before I croak. How about SOLO and we fuggetaboutit as far as overhead ice is concerned (as I already have your ice card)?

Not saying you should do this...
But all the same rules apply to ice diving as cave diving...
My brother and I would ice dive and just apply all the same rules... but we do like like to read and learn...
also its very smart to read about other people's mistakes...
Like cut the hole but cut the piece into smaller pieces so it can't float back and close the hole and block you in...
Also we would ice dive where we knew it like the back of our hand... if for some reason we lost the cave line. I could easily find my way out...

And double tanks or large pony.

We just had some dummy's go ice diving in the canal... the guy that died was supposedly a military diver.
At 19ish years old...
Sounds like they did everything wrong...
But one guy make it out...
Have respect!! you will be amazed how strong 1/2- 3/4" of ice is....

Reactions: kHz
Like cut the hole but cut the piece into smaller pieces so it can't float back and close the hole and block you in...
Also we would ice dive where we knew it like the back of our hand... if for some reason we lost the cave line. I could easily find my way out...

We just had some dummy's go ice diving in the canal... the guy that died was supposedly a military diver.
At 19ish years old...
Question.

Are you trained to ice dive and have you ever been under the ice? Ice diving isn't some super macho thing, it is just another branch of diving. For me, it is stupidly fun when done correctly.

You have a few options in Michigan that I know of. Two are good, one is, less than good.
Scuba North in Traverse City is a good option, they do a lot of ice diving and teach classes.
Motor City Scuba in Novi also does ice classes, he usually does them at Spring Mill Pond, the class will be good, the diving will look a lot like a muddy pond, just under the ice.
The third option is in Ann Arbor.

There are probably more shops through the state that teach it, I don't personally know of them or how they teach.

@abnfrog

You and Rox up for it this year? (@rhwestfall)

If so, I'm in for a refresher or whatever you want to call it. I could enjoy earning one more card before I croak. How about SOLO and we fuggetaboutit as far as overhead ice is concerned (as I already have your ice card)?

border is still an issue...:shakehead: maybe by then?

My brother and I would ice dive and just apply all the same rules... but we do like like to read and learn...

At 19ish years old...

From your post, I'd suggest you consider a formal class....

Yes most people should take a course. I am just saying what we did.
And yes it depends what you call ice diving...
Full harness and tied off, with saftey divers..
or cave diving and running line.
No matter what you do your brain needs to be used.
USE BRAIN MOD1.jpg

Yes I have been under the ice.
Do you need pictures?

I probably need a plastic card that's says I can use a dry suit first :wink:
But I have done it in a full 7mm...

Attachments

• IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 120

At 19ish years old...

that sounds like an extremely dangerous way to ice dive.

no surface support crew? no safety diver? no warming huts? running your own line and assuming youll find your way out?

i mean you do you, but i would recommend an actual ice course

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom