Ice divers please help ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am based in DC / Virginia area and looking for an ice diving instructor. Can anyone recommend a destination / dive center for training and ice dives? I would not mind traveling further northwards into Canada if the diving up north gets better. Please help ...

Kind regards -
S H

I'm ice certified and recently moved to the area. If you find a group or a class, I am interested in joining in.

Finding classes will almost certainly involve travel to PA or NY. MD gets some ice but on the places I know of it is not enough to be considered safe. I think Indian Valley Scuba does ice but not sure about their schedule. They are on here. I am doing an ice class end of Jan/early Feb in Indiana then perhaps two more weekends in Ohio at Whitestar. That will qualify me to teach it. I am looking into options in this part of PA but they are limited not only by temps but proper resources(warming facility, support personnel, etc) for an ice course and the number of participants.

How about Ice diving and skiing? Ski the White Mts. of N.H. and great ice diving just south on Lake Winnipesaukee. Clear and plenty cold :)

I am based in DC / Virginia area and looking for an ice diving instructor. Can anyone recommend a destination / dive center for training and ice dives? I would not mind traveling further northwards into Canada if the diving up north gets better. Please help ...

Kind regards -
S H

We have a great course at my dive center near the Twin Cities in Minnesota. It is usually a huge party, with plenty of surface support, tents over the holes, plenty of space heaters, food, and a lot of fun. We typically have folks from quite a few locations here. We have some folks who return semi-regularly from places like Southern California, Texas, and North Carolina just to be part of the fun.

We typically have at least a few people traveling in from out of state, so finding people to share hotel costs with is usually not much of a problem.

PM me for info.

I am looking at a course that will be run at White Star in OH, early MAR. Did you find a course yet, I know they have openings. I also dive the DC area and will be back there for another year fall of 11, let's go dive when I get back.

Inland Water Sports, Kingston, PA. 3 hours from Baltimore. We have lots of ice this year, 18+ inches as of 2 weeks ago in most areas. SSI training facility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom