Ice diver dead - Wisconsin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cavediver.net links to the attached article.

http://fox6now.com/2013/01/19/scuba-...red-dangerous/

Beyond this, its mostly a discussion of the differences between cave diving techniques and those employed in ice diving.

With respect to your husband wanting to go ice diving, all diving has its risks. You want to find an instructor that is able to teach you how to mitigate these risks as best you can. I did some ice diving in Illinois about two years ago. If the opportunity presents itself again I would do it again. I also consider myself to be a low risk appetite diver.

Details are known to a few but his close friends and family still grieving and I'm sure his close dive buddy who frequents here will say more when he's ready.

Ya I don't have enough good to say about Steve. My brother is his close dive buddy and they are all hurting right now. I don't know enough of the details, nor do I feel it my place to share them. I was lucky enough to get a few certs through him. He was the smartest, most technical diver I've ever met. Being completely honest, this has made me rethink doing my ice certs this year.

I'm sure my brother or others will be here to share more when the time is right.

RIP Steve!!

I barely knew Steve but he seemed like a great guy. We dove Jug Hole together in Oct and he was a very skilled diver.

I know family and friends are hurting right now and I respect that and offer my condolences. I do hope at some point we can learn more details of what exactly happened. I do not wish to pick apart any mistakes made that day but to know what could be done to prevent this. Accident Analysis is very important through every loss we can learn something.

Thanks everyone. I can totally respect that...I cannot imagine how they are all feeling....

To comment on the recent accident that claimed the life of a fellow diver.
I did not know Steve but have done both Cave and Ice diving.
In time details of the accident might be available but those who speculate or insinuate about the incident will only delay or complicate the process.
This is what has happened on other threads and only hurts the entire process but most of all those who were there are traumatized all over by the comments.
Legal / Liability issues are in play when a fatality takes place it is HUGE!

I desire to know the facts as well but those only come from those involved when they are ready.
There are facts about the accident that will never be known and the faster we all accept that the better.
ICE is its own animal anyone considering it should take training for it very serious acknowledging all the risks involved.
This is not a condescending post or judgmental against anyone but PLEASE GIVE THOSE INVOLVED SOME TIME TO GRIEVE!
The information age has put a microphone in parents of murdered children that very day!

Facts will come forward or they will not regardless we lost one of our own.
Train hard, follow the rules, acknowledge the risk and choose for yourself what dives to do.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

To comment on the recent accident that claimed the life of a fellow diver.
I did not know Steve but have done both Cave and Ice diving.
In time details of the accident might be available but those who speculate or insinuate about the incident will only delay or complicate the process.
This is what has happened on other threads and only hurts the entire process but most of all those who were there are traumatized all over by the comments.
Legal / Liability issues are in play when a fatality takes place it is HUGE!

I desire to know the facts as well but those only come from those involved when they are ready.
There are facts about the accident that will never be known and the faster we all accept that the better.
ICE is its own animal anyone considering it should take training for it very serious acknowledging all the risks involved.
This is not a condescending post or judgmental against anyone but PLEASE GIVE THOSE INVOLVED SOME TIME TO GRIEVE!
The information age has put a microphone in parents of murdered children that very day!

Facts will come forward or they will not regardless we lost one of our own.
Train hard, follow the rules, acknowledge the risk and choose for yourself what dives to do.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Thank you for your post.
It is hard to read all the speculation and sometimes ignorant thoughts you come across in these kind of threads.

Steve was my best friend and dive buddy and his loss has shaken me to the core. I never want to hear of a loss but its especially hard when you are close to the person that you lost. I wish to let things settle down before I share details on the accident. I know many lives can be saved with accident analysis and our practices as divers are built off the divers that we have lost.

Steve was laid to rest in Wisconsin on Monday the 28th. We have a memorial here in Florida set up for him on Saturday the 2nd.

I will check back in in the days to come.

Thanks
Patrick

Patrick, having organised a dive two years ago this Sunday where my wife's best friend died, it is easy to understand how you feel. The one thing I did as soon as possible was detail what happened so that I would not forget anything. Within a week or so I posted it on my web site (I have an extensive dive related site) so that others could learn from what happened. This really needs to be done for all incidents so that everyone, novice and experienced, can learn (and we can all learn from every incident).

My thoughts are with you and his family.

Back
Top Bottom