Ice Class With Stephen Simpson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

im never that close after the first dive after chili.............steve

Another thing that needs to be said is, "One serious Thank-You" to Steve. Just prior to the class, Steve came down with one nasty sinus cold. I had it or something similar about 3 weeks prior & thought I was going to die... Steve kept moving forward. Also, diving day found him crippled up with his back out. The amount of pain he was in was evident. His pride kept him going, and I continually asked him what he needed us to do to lighten his load. True to his form, he just plugged through it.

Noticed, and appreciated! :thumb:

your welcome , I try not to let things like this stop me ......just ranger up

That looks like an awesome class. Something I'd like to try sometime.

Don't overthink it. Just sign up for one.

It isn't that bad and it forces you to realize that all diving should be taken seriously. It is also a great course if you are considering going solo, halfway there...
I should probably get more than three dives past my OW cert before I go do an ice class. I'm hoping to get some good amount of dives in this year, living 10 minutes from a lake (Pearl Lake in South Beloit, IL).

I did eventually plan to go solo. All in good time.

How does it actually work? Is it just the diver alone under the ice? Connected to the tender by a rope of course? Or are there two divers and two tenders at once?

The class we took requires a minimum of an Advanced rating.

How does it actually work? Is it just the diver alone under the ice? Connected to the tender by a rope of course? Or are there two divers and two tenders at once?

There may be multiple diver/tender pairs active, but it is just you and your tender. You dive gear configurations that provide redundancy (like a complete separate pony/stage/regulator). You have back-ups to back-ups..... Really gets you thinking/preparing.

Excellent report and obviously a well run and well-executed class. Reminds me of mine in Indiana. Only we were handed a cup of chili, cup of hot chocolate, and a warm brownie or chocolate chip cookie when we got out of the water.
Steve, kudo's for keeping the standards high and keeping Bob and Jeff alive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom