Iberostar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just returned from 10 days with Iberostar/Dressel in Cozumel. I have to say the resort was the highlight of the trip as the diving was just mediocre.... But, I'm comparing it to my diving in the Red Sea when I lived/worked in Egypt, so all or most of my Caribbean diving rates between a D- and a C+.

We were in a sea view suite at Iberostar and it was really nice - no odd odors at all. The food on the buffet was surprisingly good, however their specialty restaurants (American/Asian/Mexican and a couple others) were as mediocre as the diving.... There's a nice little local place about 100 meters up the beach called Alberto's and their food was superior to Iberostar's.

Over the course of 9 1/2 days of diving we saw (1) turtle, a few spotted rays, lots of puffers and a few lobsters & crabs. And of course all the usual reef fish. No big pelagics at all.

Bottom line, we had more fun onshore than at 20-30 meters.....

Maybe not all of the country as it has deserts, but anytime one visits a tropical island, you have to expect tropical climes.

If that long. Thatch might provide the feeling of an authentic tropical visit, but with costs.

Wonderful idea.

I am lucky that I can't smell. Others may want to take a jug of liquid laundry bleach and add to shower drains and toilet bowls as needed.

Scoopscallahan, is this your first visit? There are a number of cautions I could offer.

Don’t think it’s a good idea to advise hundreds of tourists to dump bleach down a foreign countries drain. Could potentially damage septic systems as well as other infrastructure systems.

Ive said it many times, I will never do an AI in Cozumel again, mainly because I don't dig on gross AI food and I don't need that constant activity / entertainment.

If I was you. I'd rebook to a condo.

But you are not OP and they didn't ask if they should stay at a resort or a condo. People have different preferences for their diving vacations and all-inclusives meet many people's needs.

I stayed at Iberostar in January 2020 and had a second floor room. It was great! Loved how close the dive shop was and the food was fine and always available. The grounds are really beautiful and there's a surprising amount of wildlife on the walk to the buffet.

Don’t think it’s a good idea to advise hundreds of tourists to dump bleach down a foreign countries drain. Could potentially damage septic systems as well as other infrastructure systems.
Yeah, good point. Thanks. Still, I'd do it if sewer smells were bothering me.
Ive said it many times, I will never do an AI in Cozumel again, mainly because I don't dig on gross AI food and I don't need that constant activity / entertainment.

Yeah, I stayed at one once with a group local to me on a crappy trip once. I had a complaint and went back into the kitchen as I always feel I have that right. They weren't even cooking there. They were trucking the food in from elsewhere. And their poolside buffet was covered in flies which the pool drunks didn't seem to be bothered, but I wouldn't eat it. Generally I don't much care that much about food issues, but AI can get boring after a few days.

He is staying there mostly to avoid long boat rides as he's prone to seasickness. I'm lucky that I am not.
The grounds are really beautiful and there's a surprising amount of wildlife on the walk to the buffet.
I remember some stays at Fantasy Island in Roatan. Much of the food was cooked in another building several yards behind the dining hall, and the ladies carrying it had to fight with the local monkeys. Then there was one dude who tried to hand feed a huge iguana and almost lost a thumb. :funny:

I generally agree. We usually go to Isla and always get a condo. First trip to Cozumel. I love having my own place and trying different restaurants. This one is all about the dive and I’m looking forward to being able to stay at one place and not have to leave. We’ll probably venture out on later trips. Thanks for all the replies. Definitely put my mind at ease.

Yeah, I stayed at one once with a group local to me on a crappy trip once. I had a complaint and went back into the kitchen as I always feel I have that right. They weren't even cooking there. They were trucking the food in from elsewhere. And their poolside buffet was covered in flies which the pool drunks didn't seem to be bothered, but I wouldn't eat it. Generally I don't much care that much about food issues, but AI can get boring after a few days.

He is staying there mostly to avoid long boat rides as he's prone to seasickness. I'm lucky that I am not.

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

I CANT WAIT to eat at my favorite spots in Cozumel in October, but 1st, its TnC Aggressor in August :)

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

I CANT WAIT to eat at my favorite spots in Cozumel in October, but 1st, its TnC Aggressor in August :)
And I'm sure that #scoopscallahan is glad that he is not since motion sickness is his nemesis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom