Iberostar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoopscallahan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Staying at Iberostar 5/13-18. We had friends stay last week and stated that the room smell was unbearable. Musty, moldy, rank and no matter what the hotel did (they tried) it couldn't be helped. Both came back sick. We have not been but really love the idea of being able to get to the dive shop without having to leave the resort and the potential we come back to dry land between dives. I really don't want to change resorts. Anyone have any experience with the rooms with Iberostar? Good, Bad, are my friends just to highbrow?

We recently stayed at Allegro, so this may or may not be of relevance, but we found the second level rooms with thatch roofs to have a hideous moldy smell and the first level rooms to be perfectly fine. We and a few others initially assigned to second level complained and demanded to be moved. The resort was working on replacing roofs while we were there. I think this thatch is probably good for about 5 years before it gets smelly and moldy. We stayed at Iberostar about 5-6 years ago and were on first level and had no issues. So my general suggestion would be to insist on a first floor room. Pay a surcharge, fake a leg injury, whatever. In addition, these resorts are often renovating rooms in sections of the resort. See if you can find out if there have been recent renovations and get into that section, even if it requires an upgrade.

My family stays at either Iberostar or in town at places like Casa Mexicana.

I personally find all of Mexico smells "damp" indoors. I don't think the Ibersostar is any different from anywhere else. And so do all the island locations I have visited. At this point that is the smell of vacation :)

Also remember the toilet water is untreated so it doesnt smell like a bottle of Poland Spring like our USA toilet water.

I personally find all of Mexico smells "damp" indoors. I don't think the Ibersostar is any different from anywhere else. And so do all the island locations I have visited.
Maybe not all of the country as it has deserts, but anytime one visits a tropical island, you have to expect tropical climes.
I think this thatch is probably good for about 5 years before it gets smelly and moldy.
If that long. Thatch might provide the feeling of an authentic tropical visit, but with costs.
See if you can find out if there have been recent renovations and get into that section, even if it requires an upgrade.
Wonderful idea.
Also remember the toilet water is untreated so it doesnt smell like a bottle of Poland Spring like our USA toilet water.
I am lucky that I can't smell. Others may want to take a jug of liquid laundry bleach and add to shower drains and toilet bowls as needed.

Scoopscallahan, is this your first visit? There are a number of cautions I could offer.

Maybe not all of the country as it has deserts, but anytime one visits a tropical island, you have to expect tropical climes.

If that long. Thatch might provide the feeling of an authentic tropical visit, but with costs.

Wonderful idea.

I am lucky that I can't smell. Others may want to take a jug of liquid laundry bleach and add to shower drains and toilet bowls as needed.

Scoopscallahan, is this your first visit? There are a number of cautions I could offer.
DandyDon: yes, this will be our first trip to Cozumel. New divers and I'm prone to motion sickness so Iberostar's close location to the reefs along with the reefs on the eastern side sounded helpful in that regard. Any and all tips would be appreciated.

We stayed at Iberostar this past January. We had a lower room, and did not notice any smell. In March we stayed at allegro, had an upper room, and didn’t notice any smell. As others have said, it’s humid, so most rooms will have a slight mustiness when you first arrive. Often times the air conditioning is not turned on, or up, when it is not occupied.
Walking around the grounds, we did notice a sewer smell at times. Just at certain spots, I doubt that can be helped. That was both at Iberostar and allegro.
We have been trying different places for the first part of our trip, to be closer to the reefs and going downtown for the second half. This is especially nice if you want to do four dives, you can grab lunch in between. There used to be other places they would drop me off in between, but recently those don’t seem to be available.

Any and all tips would be appreciated.
Well, I see that you have dived in the ocean before, but here are a few...
  • DAN dive insurance is essential. Explanation available.
  • Do not ever rent scooters.
  • Trip insurance with at least $100K medical unless you are totally sure that your home medical insurance will cover you well in Mexico. No one expects issues, but they happen. DAN offers a pretty good deal, but Generali has better rates. Repatriation is included in DAN membership, but also included in most plans.
  • Hire private DMs for each newbie the first day, and remind them to explain escaping down currents.
  • Everyone carry SMBs and Storm whistles.
I guess you know to not drink the water and negotiate cab fares before boarding. :)

I did a few years ago to Iberostar an stayed in a single story room no smells only prob was no hot water for two days.. otherwise good trip

DandyDon: yes, this will be our first trip to Cozumel. New divers and I'm prone to motion sickness so Iberostar's close location to the reefs along with the reefs on the eastern side sounded helpful in that regard. Any and all tips would be appreciated.

Speaking of tips, take lots of dollar bills. You'll interact with lots of workers through the week and while tips are not mandatory they will be appreciated and you'll get better service in return.

I stayed at Iberostar the week before the world ended in March 2020. We were in a first-floor room, and aside from the general Caribbean dampness smell which I always expect, I quite liked the resort. The layout is great, the food options were better than I expected and -- as you point out -- the location at the south end of the island means very short boat rides. You're actually usually over the dive site even before you get fully geared up, and surface intervals are done back at the beach!

Sounds like your friends had a one-off, unpleasant experience. I wouldn't hesitate booking there again.

Back
Top Bottom