Iberostar or Villa Aldora for family with non-diving kids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So that's like a maybe for Villa Aldora? Just kidding, but these responses are bumming me out since they're suggesting we're kinda stuck at bigger resorts for at least the next 4 years. (We have a former nanny but she wouldn't want to do this unless she could bring her own kids along).

We were originally looking at Mayan Princess in West Bay Roatan (MP allows parents to dive while their children are in Kids Club) but airfare to RTB is crazy this year, maybe time to open another CC.

Curious as to what tweens do at Iberostar since I'm a little worried that my now 10 yo may not be thrilled with kids clubs, esp by Spring? Thanks so much for these helpful responses, excited to return to Cozumel after so long!
Tons of stuff like getting coco loco drinks (whatever those are) at the swim up bar. Watching Michael Jackson playing on stage at night. Eating all the cheesy nachos they want all day long. Great kids stuff.
Like it was mentioned before, you can have your cake and eat it too…. Stay at Iberostar for the kids and still try to set up dives with Aldora. I was just diving with them last week and I could swear we picked up people from down south. Worth looking into.

So that's like a maybe for Villa Aldora? Just kidding, but these responses are bumming me out since they're suggesting we're kinda stuck at bigger resorts for at least the next 4 years. (We have a former nanny but she wouldn't want to do this unless she could bring her own kids along).

We were originally looking at Mayan Princess in West Bay Roatan (MP allows parents to dive while their children are in Kids Club) but airfare to RTB is crazy this year, maybe time to open another CC.

Curious as to what tweens do at Iberostar since I'm a little worried that my now 10 yo may not be thrilled with kids clubs, esp by Spring? Thanks so much for these helpful responses, excited to return to Cozumel after so long!

Why be bummed out? At Iberostar, you would be giving your children a much more enjoyable vacation, and be able to spend more quality time with them. Life is short, and in a few years, they are going to want to spend their freetime with their friends, not Mom & Dad. Enjoy their company while you still have it!

Why be bummed out? At Iberostar, you would be giving your children a much more enjoyable vacation, and be able to spend more quality time with them. Life is short, and in a few years, they are going to want to spend their freetime with their friends, not Mom & Dad. Enjoy their company while you still have it!
I agree. What the OP needs to decide is if what he wants is a vacation with or from the kids.

Iberostar is a pretty unique resort. You will not feel like you are at a big hotel. The "rooms" are 1 or 2 story huts. You are surrounded by jungle and ocean. Peacocks roam the grounds. Big iguanas. Many tropical birds including flamingos. If you can afford to and do stay there you should consider yourself one of the more lucky humans to walk this planet.

I agree with the sentiment in the last couple posts. There's nothing to be bummed out about by staying at Iberostar. My wife and I don't have kids and loved our stay there in May. We're already planning our return trip. Your kids are old enough you can probably bargain with them...kids club for XX hours while you dive, then they get to pick the afternoon activity. Also, don't underestimate the power of free-roaming baby coatis :)

I agree with the sentiment in the last couple posts. There's nothing to be bummed out about by staying at Iberostar. My wife and I don't have kids and loved our stay there in May. We're already planning our return trip. Your kids are old enough you can probably bargain with them...kids club for XX hours while you dive, then they get to pick the afternoon activity. Also, don't underestimate the power of free-roaming baby coatis :)
I have seen videos of semi-tame coati colonies on Cozumel; is there one that hangs around the Iberostar?

I have seen videos of semi-tame coati colonies on Cozumel; is there one that hangs around the Iberostar?
We saw them almost daily, usually on the way to or from the dive shop. I've seen references to them in various reviews, so I assume they are there long-term. I wouldn't call them "semi-tame" though, as they scurry away quickly if you get too close. I loved seeing them, makes you feel like you're in an even more exotic location.

We saw them almost daily, usually on the way to or from the dive shop. I've seen references to them in various reviews, so I assume they are there long-term. I wouldn't call them "semi-tame" though, as they scurry away quickly if you get too close. I loved seeing them, makes you feel like you're in an even more exotic location.
I have seen video of coatis on Cozumel coming up to people and taking food from their hands, though I don't think that is necessarily a good idea. When I was working in the Peruvian jungle many years ago there was a guy in one of the camps who had one he called "Chuni" as a pet. It was friendly and curious; its behavior was a lot like that of a cat.

Does $3800/week for the Family Suite in May sound right to those who have stayed there?

Dressel gave me a quote of $1150 for 5 days of diving (2 tank per per person, per day) including BCD/reg. rental. Their 2 tank dives are around the same price as Aldora but for convenience, we may stick with Dressel since it's our first time here. Thanks again for the guidance!

From a webpage they breakup the group by ages.
Monkey Star Camp: 4 to 7 years old
Dolphin Star Camp: 8 to 12 years old
Eagle Star Camp: 13 to 17 years old

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom