Iberostar Cozumel dock fees!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BillinDenver...you lost me on that last post. You are saying Antonio continued to use the dock? His post says he used the beach until it was clear it was too hazardous.

The dive boat I was on, when I witnessed the scene I described in my post, was not one of Antonio's boats, if that's a point of confusion for you. I have never met Antonio, and have never been on one of his boats.

This may be an unnecessary post, maybe the confusion is all mine, but I couldn't tell what you are talking about it your post #60, so I want to clarify my experience in case that's where some of the confusion is coming from.

Oh, my bad then. Which dive op was it? In any event, if what was posted in here by Christi is true...the dive op was told ahead of time that they would be refused use of the dock if they didn't pay the fee. This wasn't an unforeseen action. They didn't pay the fee and showed up to the dock anyway to pick up their clients. That is when the resort acted in the horrific way that they did. It wasn't Antonio's dive op that suffered, but it was his internet campaign against the resort that helped spark it.

You've got a manager at a resort whose email box gets crammed by email from a campaign started here. His superiors are telling him to enforce the rules they recently handed down. He can do so or lose his job. He has probably read this thread by now if he has any intelligence at all and the dive ops on here bragging about how they are going to put this resort in it's place probably made him mad. He responded. In a stupid, short sighted, poorly thought out way...but he responded. Had he been at all bright, he would have told the client what was taking place and allowed them to pay the fee and deduct it from their dive op bill. Poorly thought out actions by all involved I'm thinking.

BillinDenver...you lost me on that last post. You are saying Antonio continued to use the dock? His post says he used the beach until it was clear it was too hazardous.

The dive boat I was on, when I witnessed the scene I described in my post, was not one of Antonio's boats, if that's a point of confusion for you. I have never met Antonio, and have never been on one of his boats.

This may be an unnecessary post, maybe the confusion is all mine, but I couldn't tell what you are talking about it your post #60, so I want to clarify my experience in case that's where some of the confusion is coming from.

You are correct, it doesn't make sense, that's because biilindenver is merely taking a potshot at Christy, again, and trying hard to make her look bad, again (gets old real fast), and in trying to do so will attempt to weave all kinds of info into a coherent statement, which come out like nonsense....the issue here is not what he's talking about. The issue here is hotel's coming up with a way to get money to finance their facilities, facilities they advertise as being part of their properties, which their guests are supposed to have FREE access to, and don't. THAT is the issue here, regardless of how some want to twist it around based on their personal agendas and grudges....

I started this thread to inform people of what's going on, that is one of the main reasons for internet forums. The IB attempted this a few years ago, and then withdrew as they recognized then it was wrong, now they've decided to try again, does not mean that it's right this time, it's still wrong.

I haven't changed my opinion. The resort owns the pier, mom and pop dive ops don't have a right to make a living from it for free and refusing to pay less than two dollars a day for it while charging clients 4 times that for a BC rental is ridiculously short sighted.

If it wasn't for the mom and pop Dive Ops picking folks up at the hotel piers,the hotels would have a lot less people staying in their hotel.IMHO this is just another example of a large company trying to take advantage of the little guy.Capitalism at it's worse.:no:

They should have made the client aware that the dive op was refusing to pay it. They should have given the diver the option to pay it. They should have told the diver prior to the boat arriving that they would not be allowed to use the dock without paying a fee because when the dive op was advised of the fee, they refused to pay it

You really can't be serious. So you're saying the pier owner should tell the guest that the dive op didn't pay the money and therefore, it's the GUESTS problem? Ha! ha! Wow, I'd SO love for someone to try to sell me that line of B.S. I'd enjoy every second of explaining to him how I don't give a flying dog turd about his problems with outside dive ops.

No way am I paying a fee that wasn't disclosed up-front when I booked the trip. Had a dive shop try that on me once with a "fuel surcharge" that appeared at the end of the week of diving. I subtracted it from the bill and paid the remainder. They squawked but I wasn't budging. Not disclosed = not paid.

And I most certainly wouldn't stay anywhere that tried "Guests may be required to pay a surcharge in the event the off-site dive op refuses to comply."

-Charles

I may be wrong, but isn't this the way it works? The hotel charges the dive-ops a flat fee per month to pick up guests at the dock. It doesn't matter to the hotel if they pick up 1 or 100 guests. However, it will matter to the dive-ops because if they are paying the fee and only have a couple divers staying there that month, that can really cut into their profits. I thought they had already been charging to be picked up from Iberostar for awhile now. I know the impression I got when I first heard about it was it was a way for them to pressure folks into using the onsite op. Personally, I think the hotel is just being greedy.

In reading between the lines, there is a bigger issue involved. If the operators capitulate and pay the Iberostar then it encourages the other resorts and hotels to follow. Imagine if the operators had to pay $50 per month to the 13+ hotels south of town and even more condo/beach clubs to use piers. The hotels alone would be $650us per month or $7,800 a year. That's not chump change and is assuming the charge remains the same. It only gets worse from there. It's a business decision and a good one to fight this. I would never stay that far south unless it was free, so it's not an issue for me. But should I find out that one of the properties I frequent started this practice I would take my business elsewhere.

Rich

I think it is very unfair of those of you judging dive Ops refusal to pay the IB pier ransom. I do not believe any of you judging have run a dive Op in Cozumel Mexico. I certantly have not. We have no idea what it takes to run a biz like that. Several other resorts and pier owners are charging their guests directly, not the dive op. I think ( and could be wrong) this is the first hotel to insist the dive shops pay.

You are correct, it doesn't make sense, that's because biilindenver is merely taking a potshot at Christy, again, and trying hard to make her look bad, again (gets old real fast), and in trying to do so will attempt to weave all kinds of info into a coherent statement, which come out like nonsense....the issue here is not what he's talking about. The issue here is hotel's coming up with a way to get money to finance their facilities, facilities they advertise as being part of their properties, which their guests are supposed to have FREE access to, and don't. THAT is the issue here, regardless of how some want to twist it around based on their personal agendas and grudges....

I started this thread to inform people of what's going on, that is one of the main reasons for internet forums. The IB attempted this a few years ago, and then withdrew as they recognized then it was wrong, now they've decided to try again, does not mean that it's right this time, it's still wrong.

I'm not at all sure I follow you. You are saying that because I feel that a resort who has paid an enormous amount of money to build a dock should be able to charge you for the use of it, that I'm bashing Christi? I did no such thing. I stated an opinion differing from your clearly self serving opinion and now you are bashing me for disagreeing with you, and making up this lame reason for it. Weak.

For the record, of the half dozen dive ops I have dove with in Cozumel, every one of them wave as cheerfully at me as I do at them when I see them on the dock or in town, with the exception of the one you mention. I say good things about all of them in here, with the exception of the one you mention who treated us poorly in comparison to the others. If you believe I have some sort of agenda then have out with it little guy and let's discuss it. As is, you brought a topic up for discussion and I disagreed with you....welcome to the internet. Not everyone is here to stroke your ego. You feel a sense of entitlement because your living is attached to property you don't own. Antonio meet the world of business.....and welcome. You will find that most of the Drama Queen acts (like your pleading for email campaigns on the net) typically have little affect. I'll be quite shocked if this one does either. By the way, how goes the email campaign for the other docks charging fees? Yeah...I know...but by all means full speed ahead, I'm sure this time you will convince them that you are entitled to compete with them while using their property for free.

....welcome to the internet. Not everyone is here to stroke your ego...

I am glad you've educated me bill, up until your post, I really thought EVERYONE was here to stroke my ego, I'm sure you are the expert on ego stroking. As much as you like these little wars of words, I'm afraid I won't indulge you. Be well and keep enjoying Cozumel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom