IANTD vs. ANDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My tanks are O2 clean, they get partial pressure fills...

My regs are not O2 clean (I only dive < 40%)...

Blacknet... the pressure from the tanks will not allow hydrocarbons on the threads of the regs to enter the tank... you tank will not get contaminated, it will remain O2 clean...

Next time you get a fill look at the whips there at the fill station... I gaurentee that the threads on them are not kept in a steril environment...

Ari - I feel your pain...

Yes....
And next time you drive by a welding shop....
Stop and examine the sterile O2 clean environment....
:wink:

One word....
Ridiculous!

TDI Mid East Nitrox manual specifies:

All equipment, scuba cylinders, valves, pressure gauges and regulators exposed to oxygen percentages 40% and greater must be oxygen clean and have oxygen compatible materials.

There is no reason for the shop to want to see your regs. Do they have their compressor in a clean room (shared with Intel, perhaps...)

jetblast00,

Actually the whips are kept in a clean enviroment and pulled out when used then put back in. My tanks are also inspected under various criteria before they pull the whip out.

Ed

Here's the other side of the coin...recent incident with my LDS!!!

I dropped off two LP98's at my LDS that I had just purchased used from out of the area. They came with current VIP stickers, but I wanted to show a little support for the ole local shop, so I asked them to VIP them and then fill'em up with 36%. Then I added that when I bought them that they were manifolded and banded and only one of the two tanks were stickered for NITROX and asked if they would sticker the other.

They said sure and away I went. I got a call later that day from the owner of my LDS who said he had just seen the work tags and wanted to know EXACTLY what I wanted him to do with my tanks. He listed off about 6 different combinations of inspections and certifications and stickering and had me thoroughly confused. I advised him of the same and he put it in short bald guy language.

He said:

"1. Do you plan on using these tanks for stages?" no of course not...they're steel.

"2. Do you plan on getting them filled by partial pressure blending?" I said I dont know...what do you guys do?
He said, "We do both. We premix and also special blend via partial pressure blend."

I said, I might get them filled elsewhere. He assured me that everywhere that I had spoken with him about diving had shops that had premix or didint have Nitrox.

He then said something about a lot of money for getting the Oxygen clean rating....whenever Tom starts talking about a lot of money...I get dizzy...I get confused...I want to run away...FAST.

"Tom" I said......"I'm confused, can you put it in really stupid short bald guy talk?"

"Sean" Tom says, I can charge you a ****load of money. Then after that, the tanks will be nothing but a pain in the ass, you'll have to watch where you get them filled....then there's your titanium regulator....."

"Or," Tom said, "I can certify them for Preblended nitrox up to 40% give you a tag and sticker that says that and you can pick them up in 20 minutes."

"But Tom, what if I want custom blended NITROX say.....28% when I go to the straits ?" "Heck Sean, we can pre blend it and then put it into your tank."

Hmmmmmm Which do you think I picked?

Ari, I know it's a long drive, but you can come dive with us here in Michigan and rent from us...we'll treat you right!!!

Oh yeah...forgot...that one sticker cost $15.00 WOW!!

Windknot,

In this ever lawsuit-timid diving industry, it is accepted practice (by most) to allow premix nitrox up to 40% to go into uncleaned tanks. If you clean your tanks (which this industry says you have to do) for partial pressure blending (where they put pure O2 into your tanks), then you have to beware of where you get your air (ie. you have to use filtered air).

This is what he's saying.

Mike

to say that I was suprised that he offered me the less expensive route.

That's not a bash on the shop....kind of...just a welcome change and to be honest, it caught me off guard.

He made it very clear that I could do all of the diving that I have expressed doing by going the route that I went. (He also listed all of the shops in Traverse and near the straits and said all used filtered air at the least too)

-Wind

UP,

I see that, but there ain't nuttin' in it. I'm confused again -- naturally :D.

Windknot,

It's been a while since I was down to Traverse, but they used to use partial pressure blending at Scuba North. They may have changed to premix. BTW, there isn't an "official" nitrox fill station near the Straits. The closest one is our buddies in Soo Canada (about an hour away) and he's not a business or anything. The closest one is either Traverse City or Escanaba.

Good night all.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom