I would like to hear from overweight female divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pennypue:
NauticalButNice, your name is True. You have far more restraint than I do. :)
I most likely would have told them I'd rather be fat than rude.

There were some dark mutterings from myself but in the end I didn't want there to be a big hassle. I just wanted to dive. Also, I'm really lazy!!!!!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

NauticalbutNice:
There were some dark mutterings from myself but in the end I didn't want there to be a big hassle. I just wanted to dive. Also, I'm really lazy!!!!!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Thanks for the wonderful story. I wish I could act like you...kill em' with kindness huh? I need to remember that! Again, thank you for the encouragement. I leave on my dive trip on Saturday and I will definitely remember your story!

pennypue:
Sign me up for the cow wetsuit!!!
While I feel that I am in the large category I have had nothing but compliments in a wetsuit. I think it's all attitude.

I also like to be prepared with my 'comeback' or snappy retort if I'm concerned about rude comments. I thought of this one and REALLY like it, whether I'd use it or not, it amuses me. Tech diver stud/god sees me loading up on the weight (okay I actually use frighteningly little for my size/weight and experience but......) he makes some nasty crack or even a look that rubs me wrong.....I walk over to him, take him by the hand, look into his eyes and with a very soft smile plop a big weight in his paw and tell him this is to help get his ego down there with him too. :D

:rofl: If you could see this in my head.....it's a hoot!!!!

What a great picture! I will definitely remember that one for the future!

Thanks for the Liquid fit contact....should be what I am looking for.

I was a size 14-16 when I started diving a couple of years ago & have never heard any rude remarks about my weight or the amount of lead I use. Let's face it - dive kit is not particularly flattering especially once you've got your weight belt on. To be honest I've seen more overweight divers than underweight divers & as long as you're having fun & diving within your limits who cares what other people think.
Hope you had a good trip.

Although I haven't been to Coz' I'd say that from the trips I've been on diver mix of divers is a decent reflection of society. I've never been on a boat of all "beautiful people" It is usually a mix. That I've noticed divers tend to judge you based on your diving not looks.

My first ocean dive in Cozumel there was a couple there that only did resort diving. It was interesting to see the amount of makeup this woman wore. After we finished our first dive she had to reapply. She needed a trowel since she wore more makeup on her eyes than I have ever been able to get to stick to my entire face. It was nasty looking. That's when I decided that diving is a WYSIWYG sport. What you see is what you get. And if you don't like what you see looking at me then you should be looking at the fishies, the coral or your gauges!!!! I'm not there to supply you with additional scenery. And if you don't like my formations well then get out of MY ocean!!!! <giggle>

outlawaggie:
That I've noticed divers tend to judge you based on your diving not looks.
Damn right. If you land on top of me when you're descending, kick the **** out of the coral, rip the reg out of my mouth by your manouevering ability (or lack thereof), do the same to my mask, and bounce all over the depths then I reserve the right to call you an inexperienced or crap diver. Your size does not matter (yes, even when you land on top of me - it's the tank banging my head that hurts - and yes you have to be seriously flapping to achieve that!).

Luvspoodles - I am a "somewhat" overweight female diver who could give a rat's rump about what other people think. I didn't always feel this way, my current attitude being something I had to develop over time. First of all, if you wait to live your life until you lose 10, 20, 30 lbs., you may NEVER get on with it. As we get older our physiology shifts and it becomes increasingly more difficult to shed lbs. Big deal. Getting active in a sport as much fun as diving is part of your solution to feeling better about yourself. I find it helpful to remember that our (american) culture has historically required women to achieve some overly thin ideal, while being very very forgiving about the loss of physical condition that men acquire with age. I once saw a card that showed a picture of a trim, muscular handsome man on the front with the caption "What we're looking for" while on the inside was a seriously overweight balding man in really revolting attire with the caption "what's looking for us". Needless to say, my female friends thought this was hysterical, while the guys didn't really understand. Someone (or more probably, several someone's) loves you just the way you are, and if you can do the same your life will be a whole lot more entertaining. I know it's hard to shuck off a lifetime of negative feedback from the fashion industry, but remember most models are anorexic and couldn't handle the physical challenges of diving if their lives depended upon it. It's really all about your own priorities. Don't know if this helped, but you go girl!!!

Merrianne

LuvsPoodles;

In my three-four years of diving, no one has ever made a mean remark to me about my size, at least not to my face.
So, are you back from your trip? How did it go? Please let us know.

LuvsAussieTerriers

Back
Top Bottom