I would like to hear from overweight female divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wait... do the cows have to take the written part of the exam to get certified?

and who manufactures their equipment? (i'm thinking black and white blotchy wetsuits
would be a big hit...

luvspodles, i'm with you... "grumpy cows"?

lol - imagining the black & white wetsuits.

sorry - probably a cultural thing (I'm originally from the UK) - by "grumpy (right spelling this time) cows" I mean someone who looks like they have had their face slapped with a dirty wet dive towel - you know the type - never smiles after a dive, hates taking off their kit, looks miserable the whole time, always whinges - the sexiest looking woman physically does not look sexy when she is acting pissed off and miserable, whereas a curvy or even overweight woman with a great big grin on her face after a dive looks sexy and happy!

(oh, and I'm female, so maybe I have got it all wrong!)

Sign me up for the cow wetsuit!!!
While I feel that I am in the large category I have had nothing but compliments in a wetsuit. I think it's all attitude.

I also like to be prepared with my 'comeback' or snappy retort if I'm concerned about rude comments. I thought of this one and REALLY like it, whether I'd use it or not, it amuses me. Tech diver stud/god sees me loading up on the weight (okay I actually use frighteningly little for my size/weight and experience but......) he makes some nasty crack or even a look that rubs me wrong.....I walk over to him, take him by the hand, look into his eyes and with a very soft smile plop a big weight in his paw and tell him this is to help get his ego down there with him too. :D

:rofl: If you could see this in my head.....it's a hoot!!!!

I love it!! You paint a very clear picture.

Thanks,
Becky

This is great thread....I know its mostly about how the ladies are feeling but my dad could learn something here. He used to be an instructor with a bazillion dives and he trained I dont know how many people to dive in the 80's but he has gained alot of weight since then and is so self concious that he refuses to dive anymore. I tell him not to worry but he never goes diving. I am in instructor now and I dive like 100+ times a year. I go to him all of the time about advice on being a better instructor and I make invites for him to help assist in teaching or just go diving but he is so self concious that he refuses. I know he loves it and he wants to but I can't get past his reservations. He is too big for the wetsuits that are standard sizes. Does anyone know of a resonably priced custom suit to get for him for christmas. I honestly think he is embarrased that the regular size suits dont fit properly. He says that "when I can fit into a wetsuit then I will go again." Any suggestions?

I'm not a girl not as old but i'm overweight to... what to say to the idiots in the audience? ":censored:!"

if they're so rude as to think they own the ocean? a little super glue in the reg should stop them...

and what have i got to say to every overweight, underweight, flabby, smoking, booze-guzzling, unshaven, balding, gay, nerdy, geeky, pesky, redneck, *******, face lifted person out there is: YOU GO GIRL/ GUY!!!!!

and where on god's good earth does it say in the OW manual that you have to be a super model to dive?

Jag

Zendiver - check with www.liquidfit.com Carolyn's suits are great and she is in Key Largo. But she will talk you through the measurrments over the phone. My family has 8 of her suits.

Becky

Just like to add this to this thread -

I recently went out diving with a group of people I hadn't been diving with before (except my buddy). A couple of the girls were openly staring at my stomach (why did they have to stare? It's not exactly well hidden :wink: ) and generally making nasty comments (loud enough for me to hear, with a hood on).

To be honest I didn't really care, but my buddy was being really sweet, asking me if I was ok and telling me not to listen to them. Bit hard at that decibel!

To cut a long story short, once we were in the water it was a different story. These girls have more dives than me, but they sucked! At one point one of them was clinging onto my arm because her buoyancy was terrible, as was her buddy's. Back at the shore I had to help them carry thier equipment because it was too heavy! Needless to say they were pretty much laughed at by the rest of the guys, who had heard their previous comments.

And I got bought a few drinks back at the pub. :coke:

Moral of the story - the best thing an overweight diver can do is dive to the best of their ability. Blow them away under the water and at the surface nobody will care what you look like.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

NauticalButNice, your name is True. You have far more restraint than I do. :)
I most likely would have told them I'd rather be fat than rude.

But I'm not as nice as you. :blinking:

Diving well IS the best revenge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom