I will bet your overweighted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The extra weight for comfort:) Rick, UP and Walter you guys don't count in the bet. Most of you are teaching people how to do it correctly. Bets are off with you all:jester:
Ken

Yooper you really need those jet fins:D

Let me see, a 3mill farmer john wet suit and a 75 lb weight harness.
Overweight? ya think?:jester:

Running a dredge or jet nozzle I really do use that much weight but then I would also be surface suplied so it is not the same problem.

Using scuba I like to be neutral at the surface with 500 psi in the tank. Some people would say that is overweight by about 1 or 2 lbs but it makes it much easier to do a slow final ascent.

Weight rules;
Scuba - make sure you don't have too much.

Working surface supplied - make darn sure that you have more than enough.

michael

Originally posted by Waterlover
Yooper you really need those jet fins:D

I know, I know. I have $5000+ into gear, but there are some things that just don't find their way to the top of my wish list. I've hinted to my wife that I'd like some Turtles for my birthday on Thursday, so maybe I'll rid myself of [gulp!] stroke fins once and for all :D.

:)

Mike

My most recent dives were with 2400psi, 80 cu.ft. steel tanks. Prior to that I had been diving with rented aluminum tanks. I'd expected to be able to drop some weight from the belt due to the negative buoyancy of the steel tank. Whereas I had been diving with 24 pounds with the AL tanks and seemed a bit underweighted still, I went to 20 pounds with the steel tank. The 6 pounds of negative buoyancy from the steel tank would then put me at 26 pounds total.

I found that I was still underweighted however. I could get off the surface only by dropping my nose and kicking. If I then came to a depth of 20 feet or less I popped to the surface like a cork (with no air in the BC).

On the second dive I went to 24 pounds of weight, which was only marginally better. On the third dive I went to 28 pounds and at that point I was overweighted, but I'd prefer to control my buoyancy by adding air to the BC than to have an uncontrolled ascent. With 28 pounds I was able to execute the 15 foot safety stop.

I'm purchasing my own BC so that I can determine precisely what weight I need for neutral buoyancy at the surface with either AL or steel tanks. I can rent tanks for awhile, but for now I want to own my own BC. An integrated weight system will be a nice covenience as well.

FWIW I'm in the weight=warmth crowd here. Overweighted, I don't think so. I could dive with a couple lbs less but that's the difference between doing the safety stop warm or squeezed like an old tube of toothpaste. I like warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom