I was pretty Green I Guess

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reg was a rental so I dont have a service record on it. I was told that rental equipment dosnt always gets the best of care. I went in with 3000 psi and returned to the boat with about 1200psi. thats normal for the depth we where diving at and my tank was a 120 steel also.

Don't want to beat up on you too much, but as you probably realize now, you were not quite ready for NC wreck diving. In retrospect, it would have been wise for you to get to know the details about your rental regulator before diving. For example, was it a piston reg or diaphragm, balanced or unbalanced. You should of known about the vane switch, in which case you would have known to have it turned up.

At any rate, you made the correct choice by getting your buddy's attention after your OOA. No sense in messing around with an octopus, which may or may not have worked, when you know that your buddy has good air. You also remained calm, which also shows good instincts. I've seen a lot of divers that would of bolted for the surface, which could easily have been fatal.

I'm curious as to why you decided to dive again that afternoon on a regulator that you obviously found to be questionable.

Go get some more dives under you belt, and hope to see you next year.

Mike (a.k.a. Mike-3)

Thanks for the kind words Mike-3. i wont try to defend myself on the lack of knoweldge I had for sure. i dove again that afternoon because the reg checked out and after a brief explanation about the high /low switch I felt it was ok to go back in. I'm writing the whole thing off as ONE of those THINGS that Happen. thats why i'm at the scuba board to see and share idea's. Am i curious what happen SURE. well it happen again with my own equipment ? I think it will and I'll deal with it and other things that might come-up also. Talking to you and others about scuba it seems that nobody is amune to problems with equipment. thanks for the invite back Mike-3. Mike (AKA) WWW :)

Nice work Mike (GotAir), guess you must extend your small engine repair business to regs.

You were lucky, way back when, I ran out of air once, and my buddy didn't give it to me. Make sure you service that regulator!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom