I want to narow down the list or regulators to look at.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ_Albertson

Registered
Reaction score
I want to narow down the list or regulators to look at.

Any suggestins on what to look at? I know it's easy to recommend a top of the line brand like Atomic or Apek but I have a list of criteria, one of them being price. My preference is for a mid-level or low-endl model from top-end company.

Here is my critiria in approximate order of importence

1) Sealed first stage. I intend to do about 50% beach dives and I've
been told by experianced Atomic Reg owner that he had to buy a
second reg becaue sand was causing his Atomic 1st stage to require
a lot of service. Everyone says the rental Reg I use is "very robust".
It's an Aqualung Titan. I figure I want something at least as "sand proof" as the Titan.
I'll be on sandy beach 50%, off my sailboat in
clean water 40% and remainer (I hope) at resorts.

2) Of course I want it to breath well. However I don't plan on diving below 100. OK I might get into wreck diving some day and want to go deeper but mostly 60ft is the limit. I do want at least a noticeable up grade in breating over the "Titan". You know pruely phycological - after spending the $$ I don't want the feeling like "Hey the rental unit was better".

3) I'll likey get Nitrox certified some day but I think all regs will
handle 40% O2 so nitrox may be a non-issue??

4) Of course I don't want to spend money. But I'm targeting an "Internet price" of about "the 300's I can be talked into going up or down from this target. (Notice cost is #4, not #1 on my list)
But if I decide I need to go over "around $300" I will have to delay
the purchace.

5) Don't expect to do any cold water diving. The coldest will be
our local (So. Calif.) winter water of about 55F

6) I'm In So. Calif. Finding service and support is not hard to find on any brand. There are more dive shops than anyone could ever have time to check out. However I will stick to major brands that can be serviced world wide and likey buy from Internet from Authorized dealer only.

Atomic and Apeks are both great regs. In my area Apeks are a lot more common. I bought 2 Apeks regs last fall and found the best price at Dive Inn. Depending on the shipping prices you can save 30-40%. Good Luck!

Matt

http://www.scubastore.com

This board loves Apeks. For very good reason.

That being said, you know what? If you're mostly doing recreational level stuff, you really can't go wrong with an Aqualung Titan. They really are a very good regulator, especially for the money.

I too love my Apeks, but my daughter dives an AL Titan LX. While we were on vacation last week, I swapped regs with her for a few dives so I could compare how they breathed and even though the Apeks is an easier breather, the Titan did a remarkably good job. The deepest I had it was about 95 feet and it was breathing fine, I never felt that is was not delivering all the air I wanted. The deepest dive my daughter was on with it was 116 feet and she said it breathed great for her the whole time.

I personally think that the Titan is a very good breathing, reasonably priced reg, but get the LX version, it has a balanced second stage. However, neither the Titan nor the Titan LX is environmentally sealed, if you want a sealed first stage you need the Titan LX Supreme, which is going to bring the cost up about another $50

I would agree that the Titan has regaining popularity, If want to follow the apeks crowd (with a good reason) take a look at the AT20. ENV. Kit and easy breathing. No reg is "sandproof". They all need to be maintained. This especially means the second stages. Alot of people never take the liberty to take off the cover and rinse out the sand. Because there is a kit on it, doesn't make it invinsible.

Apeks sounds good. ScubaPro makes a sealed 1st called the Mk16...good reg.

Zeagle ZX/DS-IV will be everything you need at a great price to boot!

PonyBottle:
Zeagle ZX/DS-IV will be everything you need at a great price to boot!

What about a Genesis GS2000? It sure doesn't have the cool factor of the above regs..... but, hey(!), at $200.00 who could complain about a reg that pretty aced ScubaLab's testing?! ....... JP

Back
Top Bottom