I want to be fit & trim - but HATE exercising!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is SO interesting - and now I have more questions (which is what makes it so interesting). Would it be as effective to simply keep sipping water throughout a meal? I've noticed that I feel full after a cup of coffee - often I feel more full than if I'd had food. Hmmmmm. Thanks for giving me something to ponder.
Many will say a gallon of water per day is what you should be drinking EVERY DAY. I try to drink a lot. When I succeed I don't feel nearly the same urge to snack on those days.

I started re-reading this thread this morning and saw this - made me snort!!! Maybe the best we can do is 'hate it a little less' and still commit to doing it. :)
For me, "hating it a little less" works a little bit. I hate exercise for exercise's sake. The only thing that has ever worked long term for me was to make sure I was doing the activities that I like. I Ski - alot - I cycle, hike, paddle. All of those things are fun for me so I do them often. That way I'm getting exercise without feeling like I have to make time to go to the gym and do something I don't like doing. But, when I do go to the gym my favorite workout is swimming. If you can find something you enjoy AND will make time for regularly, then it won't feel like a chore.

Many will say a gallon of water per day is what you should be drinking EVERY DAY. I try to drink a lot. When I succeed I don't feel nearly the same urge to snack on those days.

I keep a bottle of water in front of me all day long. Sometimes I even open it. :rofl3:

This is SO interesting - and now I have more questions (which is what makes it so interesting). Would it be as effective to simply keep sipping water throughout a meal? I've noticed that I feel full after a cup of coffee - often I feel more full than if I'd had food. Hmmmmm. Thanks for giving me something to ponder.
I believe that overdrinking when eating is bad for your digestion because your stomach juice will be too diluted and poorly digested food will be forced into your intestines. Drinking before you eat, however, should not matter.

I've noticed that I feel full after a cup of coffee - often I feel more full than if I'd had food.
Caffeine is an appetite suppressant, so that makes sense. Also, I don't know what you put in your coffee, but I've learned fat is critical to appetite control. Turns out I can feel full on fewer calories if I don't skip the butter.

Caffeine is an appetite suppressant, so that makes sense. Also, I don't know what you put in your coffee, but I've learned fat is critical to appetite control. Turns out I can feel full on fewer calories if I don't skip the butter.

So many people in an effort to cut out fats and carbs forget that you actually do need fats and carbs in your diet and end up cutting too much.

The key is to be picky about what forms you're eating - unsaturated fats are healthy and easy for your body to digest while saturated and trans fats are much less so, and similar for unprocessed vs processed carbs.

Plus, fats and spices make food just taste good, and I'm firmly of the opinion that if you despise what you eat because you cut out all the yummy stuff to be healthy, all you'll do is make yourself crave other foods more and you'll shoot yourself in the foot. This is also why salads are never a 'healthy' option for me - I despise leaves and have never found a dressing I liked, so better to just remove them from my diet, find other healthy options, and still be happy and content with the taste instead of sadly picking at leaves dreaming of fried chicken

Related, in counting calories I've learned that portion control matters more than what you eat. It's surprisingly easy to eat well over 2000 calories a day even if you stick to low-calorie foods, while a small treat here and there won't wreck your efforts. So yeah, if you hate salad, don't bother. Eat a piece of fried chicken, just not the whole bucket.

Related, in counting calories I've learned that portion control matters more than what you eat. It's surprisingly easy to eat well over 2000 calories a day even if you stick to low-calorie foods, while a small treat here and there won't wreck your efforts. So yeah, if you hate salad, don't bother. Eat a piece of fried chicken, just not the whole bucket.

The soft serve vanilla ice cream cones from McD are only about 200 calories and very tasty. :D

I agree completely. I did Atkins back in the day. I found it VERY effective, and very satisfying. But, it was VERY (read completely) unsustainable. I do much better with a "normal" balanced diet, and watching portion size and snacking. It is much nicer to be able to eat anything that I find interesting, thus I never denying myself interesting foods. I just keep control of the tonnage ingested.

I believe that overdrinking when eating is bad for your digestion because your stomach juice will be too diluted and poorly digested food will be forced into your intestines. Drinking before you eat, however, should not matter.
The stomach has pockets.

Back
Top Bottom