I want to be fit & trim - but HATE exercising!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love all the responses - and I wish I could do a workout that I find enjoyable - but what I'm finding is that I just have to do the workout whether I love it or not. I found myself talking to my son today, saying that no, I don't want to do the workout, but I don't give myself the option anymore. My choices are limited to 'what do I want to listen to; who would I like to talk/text with; is there a show I can watch - while I'm on the machine?'. If I tell myself this is something I'll 'try to do' that means there's an 'escape' built in. When I was teaching, and I told my students to write 'intention statements' they would invariably start them out with 'On Thursday night I'll try to ...'. I remember one day saying 'if your girlfriend said "I'll try to be faithful" how would that fly?'. So I'm using that same philosophy on myself. It's not a matter of whether I want to do it. I must, for my physical and mental health. May as well make it as fun as possible.

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 7.08.10 PM.png

I listen to audio books when exercising, from trashy fiction thrillers to world history to audio plays, depending on my mood. I’m completely caught up with Jack Reacher. The time goes quickly and I have something to look forward to.

I love all the responses - and I wish I could do a workout that I find enjoyable - but what I'm finding is that I just have to do the workout whether I love it or not. I found myself talking to my son today, saying that no, I don't want to do the workout, but I don't give myself the option anymore. My choices are limited to 'what do I want to listen to; who would I like to talk/text with; is there a show I can watch - while I'm on the machine?'. If I tell myself this is something I'll 'try to do' that means there's an 'escape' built in. When I was teaching, and I told my students to write 'intention statements' they would invariably start them out with 'On Thursday night I'll try to ...'. I remember one day saying 'if your girlfriend said "I'll try to be faithful" how would that fly?'. So I'm using that same philosophy on myself. It's not a matter of whether I want to do it. I must, for my physical and mental health. May as well make it as fun as possible.

View attachment 700753

I will never love exercising. Being able to do it at home for the time being makes it easier. I like the benefits of being stronger and diving easier.

I will never love exercising. Being able to do it at home for the time being makes it easier. I like the benefits of being stronger and diving easier.
That right there is a good motivator! And working out at home means fewer opportunities to talk myself out of it with 'but the weather ...' and 'the dog ...' blah blah blah.

Have you tried intermittent fasting? Eat all your feed within an 8 hour period?
Exercise is great but the times I exercised the most, i gained weight. I ate a lot. I've never been overweight though.

Have you tried intermittent fasting? Eat all your feed within an 8 hour period?
Exercise is great but the times I exercised the most, i gained weight. I ate a lot. I've never been overweight though.
I seem to naturally do intermittent fasting. My last meal/snack is about 8 p.m. and then I don't eat until about noon the next day. I do have coffee with stevia and cream, but I don't believe that effects my insulin so should be ok?

I have only skimmed through the thread but have you tried swimming for exercising? It’s much more gentle on the joints than weights

Swimming is excellent, but if you're already lean, you dont stay on top very well. I do a ton of biking around my neighborhood.

Try to replace fat and sugar with spices, for example.

I replaced carbs and sugar with fat. I shaved off so much wight I had to put a few back on ( lost 39, added 5#). 5'10" 164# and was at 198#.

I have an under desk cycle I use in front of the TV. No room for a regular exercise bike at home. Would do the recumbent at the gym. You can get a surprisingly intense workout on the under desk cycle. I have a variety of dumbbells, too.

I have an incumbant bike and an airdyne. The airdyne is great because it incolved upper body as well. I plumbers tape my android to the screen and stream netflix and i am at 35 minutes quickly. Or even better, I will get the neighbor motivated and we go out on real bikes.

I wish I found working out enjoyable. I don't really.. riding a bike is the closest to enjoyable, but to really get benefits for me, I have to push at least some of the time into the uncomfortable zone.

I hate working out too, unless it's competitive waterskiing. Adjust your diet, it makes a huge difference. I've said it a million times, there is zero you can do in a gym that can make up for what you eat / drink.

Outside bike riding in the Midwest in the winter is a no go. LOL

Outside bike riding in the Midwest in the winter is a no go. LOL
Especially where you are! We had snow last week, but today it's 48. It's going to be 62 next Wednesday. Go far enough south in the midwest and who knows what you'll get!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom