I want the most epic whale shark photos & need pointers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I ask what wide angle wet lens is pictured? Anything you dislike about it? Thanks!
Here’s the info about the wide angle lens of Sea &Sea DX-6G:
  • Wide-Angle Conversion Lens x0.6:
    Can-Be-Attached & Detached Underwater
    Optional SS Bayonet Wide-Angle Conversion Lens WCL06 Mounted, Angle of View Will Increase
    Provides Stunning Images
    Bayonet Mount Used, Lens Can-Be-Attached-&-Detached w/Ease
    Don't Miss Any Critical Shots
You can find a more detail info about the camera from here:

I only use the camera for Macro as for wide angle, GoPro is much better that the DX6G. GoPro unfortunately can’t do Macro.

FYI I shoot a Nikon D500 dslr. You won't need strobes. Try to make sure you take the pictures when the tail is curving towards you otherwise they look like sock puppets. Wide angle lens is essential and go pros are great. Unless you already shoot on manual and are good at changing settings quickly, then you might consider shooting on aperture priority since the lighting will change with positioning if the sun is out. Keep shutter speed on the higher since there will probably be tiny stuff floating in the water (do not go below 1/125). You might have to increase your iso if no sun out. Shoot in RAW so you can adjust white balance later. Sometimes I set focus to my fin if we are moving quickly. I usually try to keep the sun behind me and shoot at 1/125 f10ish iso320ish. Try not to keep your eyes behind a camera the whole time... they are super fun to swim with! Enjoy the moment. Wear the longest fins you can so you can swim along side.

FYI I shoot a Nikon D500 dslr. You won't need strobes. Try to make sure you take the pictures when the tail is curving towards you otherwise they look like sock puppets. Wide angle lens is essential and go pros are great. Unless you already shoot on manual and are good at changing settings quickly, then you might consider shooting on aperture priority since the lighting will change with positioning if the sun is out. Keep shutter speed on the higher since there will probably be tiny stuff floating in the water (do not go below 1/125). You might have to increase your iso if no sun out. Shoot in RAW so you can adjust white balance later. Sometimes I set focus to my fin if we are moving quickly. I usually try to keep the sun behind me and shoot at 1/125 f10ish iso320ish. Try not to keep your eyes behind a camera the whole time... they are super fun to swim with! Enjoy the moment. Wear the longest fins you can so you can swim along side.
Great advice about the tail. I don't want sock puppet photos. :) Great suggestions!

I also mount a go pro on my DSLR. Allows me to grab wide angle video while doing macro. Works well for large animals like manta. Way better than trying to shoot just a hand held go pro, tried to do dolphins that way and the results were poor - too much movement. Mounted on a housing is much more stable. If you have a red filter on the go pro take it off for close to the surface shooting.

Do whatever you can to predict where the animal will be and then go there. Easy to say - hard to do!

Back
Top Bottom