I want the most epic whale shark photos & need pointers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heading to Cozumel in a month and will be making the very touristy whale shark (WS) tour. I have two cameras (Olympus TG5 and Sony a6500). I'll be using the Sony a6500 for the WS. I'm a better macro photographer so big stuff always challenges me. And this will be a moving (not a wreck) animal that is huge.

Talk to me about lenses. I'm thinking strobes are useless, but maybe not? Maybe it's better to just grab the go-pro and head in? How does one shoot photos of the WS that are decent?

Thanks for any pointers!

Do you have a Wide Angle lens for your Sony?

I've only shot Whale Sharks with a DSLR, but never been to Coz.

Try and get in front of them for a head on shot if possible, wear decent fins to swim with them, they can swim pretty fast.

full

Have a GoPro mounted on the hot shoe of your camera so you can take pictures and video at the same time. Just in case you do not get the picture the way you want it, you have back up video that you can screen capture the right moment from the video.

I shoot Whaleshark videos with GoPro 3, 6 & 9 in Holbox, Isla Mujeres, Socorro, Cocos, Malpelo, Jardines de la Reina, Cendrawasih Bay.

The latest GoPro 10 took amazing 4K video & pictures, better than my Sea&Sea (Ricoh) GX6G. I haven’t got a chance to video whaleshark with it, yet. I will be in Sangalaki in August, Galapagos in October, Visayas in December. Hopefully I can capture whaleshark videos in those places with my GoPro 10.

Whaleshark video with GoPro 3 in Isla Mujeres

Whaleshark video with GoPro 6 in Cocos

Whaleshark video with GoPro 9 in Malpelo

Do you have a Wide Angle lens for your Sony?

I've only shot Whale Sharks with a DSLR, but never been to Coz.

Try and get in front of them for a head on shot if possible, wear decent fins to swim with them, they can swim pretty fast.

full
I do not have a wide angle yet. Wondering if one of those wide angle ones you can put on a movable lens may help or just get one that is a permanent fix

Have a GoPro mounted on the hot shoe of your camera so you can take pictures and video at the same time. Just in case you do not get the picture the way you want it, you have back up video that you can screen capture the right moment from the video.

I shoot Whaleshark videos with GoPro 3, 6 & 9 in Holbox, Isla Mujeres, Socorro, Cocos, Malpelo, Jardines de la Reina, Cendrawasih Bay.

The latest GoPro 10 took amazing 4K video & pictures, better than my Sea&Sea (Ricoh) GX6G. I haven’t got a chance to video whaleshark with it, yet. I will be in Sangalaki in August, Galapagos in October, Visayas in December. Hopefully I can capture whaleshark videos in those places with my GoPro 10.

Whaleshark video with GoPro 3 in Isla Mujeres

Whaleshark video with GoPro 6 in Cocos

Whaleshark video with GoPro 9 in Malpelo

Great stuff!! And great idea about mounting the GoPro to the camera. Thanks!

Is the wide angle one you can move on/off or permanently fixated? Did you find a use for lights? I'm thinking they are too far away
The wide angle wet lens is external twist mount type lens that can be removed on the fly, whenever you don’t need it.

That video lights are only used for dark (night, dawn, dusk, under a ledge) and close distance situation & macro shots. I won’t use them for daylight, shallow bluewater like you are going to do.

I do not have a wide angle yet. Wondering if one of those wide angle ones you can put on a movable lens may help or just get one that is a permanent fix
Keep in mind - you can get some pretty good deals on lens rentals. They can be really useful if you have a special event (which this sounds perfect for) and want that f2 or f1.4 that otherwise would cost an arm and a leg! You can even rent UW housings, flashes, etc for some camera models. Unfortunately have yet to find a housing for my D500 though.

Just select Lens -> Sony E mount ( I believe thats it for the a6000?) and then you can filter wide angle, primes, etc:
www.lensrentals.com

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/lenses/brands/sony?page=1&sort_by=heat&filters={%22string_filters%22:[{%22name%22:%22Mount%22,%22values%22:[%22Sony%20E%22]},{%22name%22:%22Lens%20Type%22,%22values%22:[%22Wide%20Angle%22]}],%22number_filters%22:[],%22number_range_filters%22:[]}&q=&for_category=1183&category_path=lenses/brands/sony

^ Depending on how wide you want to go, the 15mm / f1.4 or the 12-24 / f2.8 look like solid choices!

---
Thats a great idea with the GoPro mount. I'm definitely going to try that out when I finally find a housing

The wide angle wet lens is external twist mount type lens that can be removed on the fly, whenever you don’t needed.

That video lights are only used for dark (night, dawn, dusk, under a ledge) and close distance situation & macro shots. I won’t use them for daylight, shallow bluewater like you are going to do.
Can I ask what wide angle wet lens is pictured? Anything you dislike about it? Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom