I want SCUBA to be my job...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el_guapo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am just getting OW certified. I want to be a professional diver, but I hardly know where to begin. I know that logging hours and getting more certs will have to be my goal in the short term, but it appears difficult to break into the industry...

I am not yet certain what type of diver I want to be... I don't think commercial diving really suits me. I could see myself as a divemaster or an instructor, but I don't know how it pays. Is it enough to live off of these days?

I'm also good at taking things apart and fixing them, so I'd like to learn to service equipment as well. I assume I would need to be licensed, and there are probably training and certification programs for it as well, but I don't know where to look.

I have a million other questions, but I'll hold on to them for now, and just say thanks and good diving to you all!

Chris

This is ambitious and I think most new divers have the same idea at first.

Commercial diving is one option and we have several retired and current commercial divers on the boards which can chime in on the subject.

being a dive master or instructor is a whole other story. For the most part this is not a career, its a side job. Sure there are people who are successful at making scuba their only job but I would guess its fewer than 1% of those who are in the dive industry.

There are numerous places a person can work as a diver but from what I have seen they are not usually looking for help but they will gladly take your money and push you up the ladder to instructor level.

as a side note there is more than just becoming an instructor, you can become and open water instructor, a cave diver and instructor, a technical diving instructor, a rebreather instructor, a CPR/First Aid/DAN instructor, a GUE/DIR instructor, etc and its a huge investment of both time and money to do it right and be any good at it.

Just in PADI alone your not just an instructor anymore, you become an open water instructor, then a specialty instructor, then a dive master instructor and then an instructor instructor. each requiring an increase in dives obviously and another wad of cash. of course thats only after taking numerous other PADI courses.

If this is something you really want to look into I would suggest you find a shop and make sure they no you well, go out on their group fun dives, take trips, buy gear there, and take your courses through them. I've come to the conclusion thats probably the best way to work your way into working in a shop.

Dive masters around here work for free for the most part but they get a break on gear through the shop. sometimes you can still get gear cheaper online.

From what I know the shops make the rules about what equipment you can use and the agencies dictate how you teach.

good luck

If you want to take a chance of making yourself NOT like diving making it your job is a good start. Keep the recreation and employment separated for now and decide later after you get some time under your belt. Picking your time, conditions and location makes for enjoyable diving. Having someone else pick the time, conditions and location normally isn't as much fun and refusing a few dives could mean being unemployed and black balled.

Gary D.

I am not working in the Dive Industry.

There are places that you can work in the Recreational dive Industry like at Holiday Resorts and on Liveaboards. These jobs can vary from Instructor to Guide to Administration. The problem (or some may say advantage) with these jobs is that they are usually as expatriates in another country, Think Red Sea, Egypt, The Maldives, Thailand. This may seem romantic, but many times these people get pretty sick of it after a while. I have mentioned on more than one occasion to a dive guide in the Red Sea that I think they are "So bloody fortunate!!", let me tell you, they do not always share that opinion.

I am not sure how old you are, but if you are still young, there is nothing wrong with following this path as a means to test the water (pun un-intended). If it were me (years ago) I would probably study something else simultaneously through a correspondence course, somthing that you could "jump shop to" (Pun intended) if diving became less than ideal in the future.

I hope this gives you a different perspective to consider, whatever you do, enjoy it. Good Luck.

Best Regards

Richard

I wonder how many people learn to play golf, and then a few weeks later decide they want to work in the golf industry.

Lather, rinse, repeat for any other interest or hobby.

Just curious.

In general, professional diving does not pay squat. Most pro's (instructors) would be hard pressed to make a car payment off of the money they make teaching.

There are some exceptions. Own an LDS, it may not pay squat, but it can. Own a dive boat, it may not pay squat, but it can. Own PADI! Now that PAYS! :D

The bottom line is most instructors don't make a living instructing.

I could see myself as a divemaster or an instructor, but I don't know how it pays. Is it enough to live off of these days?

Q: What's the difference between a scuba instructor and a large pizza?

A: A large pizza can feed a family of four.

:D

echo it all and you have to choose.
I was unclear if your intention was to become a Professional Diver which usually means Dive Master or Instructor and if that is the path then expect to live light. It is not is the high wage earners bracket. You could go to one of many countries like Cayman, Honduras (Roatan, Utila), El Salvador, Ecuador, Thailand and work at a shop for slave wages and have a blast for several years. I know many "Backpackers" that have traveled country to country teaching and living in small shacks and dorms and are having the time of their lives but they are not getting rich in monetary ways. They do however, have very rich lives and know that someday they will have to settle down. Many of my backpacker friends get stuck in doing what they love and just accept poverty. Others like in cayman face the 7 year boot. After 7 years they are not given the option, they get booted into another life by the government. Living as an expat had its downsides.

The other side of the coin is Commercial diving. I am no expert here but there IS money to be made in Commercial Diving. My Cousin amassed a small fortune with a fairly large diving operation in Florida with a team of underwater welders. He did so well he sold the company, moved to the Midwest and purchased a huge ranch and retired. He doesn't dive much anymore. Go Figure.

My suggestion, get your certification, work with your LDS or school and help out to gain experience working with yourself and others, take a rescue class and dive whenever you can to gain experience. Maybe even become a DM then see how you feel before making any major investment.

He doesn't dive much anymore. Go Figure.

This isn't unusual at all. There is a very wide range of money one can make but making your recreation your job is not always as rosey as it seems.:wink:

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom