I want a SCUBA laundry machine.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why complicate things by having to actively wash (as in shower) the gear instead of soaking? A 100-gallon Rubbermaid horse trough makes the perfect rinse tank. Suspend a bar over it to hang stuff after rinsing. Put some plastic shelving next to it for small items. I even have a small winch over mine to raise the heavy stuff for draining, like rebreathers. Attach a boiler drain and hose on the bottom and drain it wherever you like.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Thanks, guys, many good suggestions to chew on. Kwinter, I did not realize it should be sufficient to just soak without rinsing, maybe indeed I should give it a try.

My method in our drought stricken area (California) is to carry 2 plastic buckets (Home Depot type) with lids. Fill each 1/2 way with fresh water. When done with a dive put the important/sensitive stuff in the bucket to soak and seal the lid. I use 2 buckets. One is for regulators, the other for my camera stuff. Lights, mask, and gauges go in either. I also carry a home garden sprayer with fresh water to rinse the sand off of my fins, gloves, hood, shoes, DSMB, suit, and BP/W. These can wait until I get home for a good soak.

At home I fill my dive box with water and soak the remaining stuff overnight and then hang to dry. The stuff from the buckets comes straight out at home to dry. The water then goes on a bush or so.

Flame control #1: Yes I am soaking my regs unpressurized, but with a well sealing cap on. You may be concerned, and that is your prerogative, but I haven't had an issue in over 40 years of diving.

Flame control #2: I'm sure there is a trace of salt in the waste water, but there is so little of it and I spread it around that is shouldn't hurt our plants.

Thanks, I've also been concerned about killing the plants with salty water if I were to just drain it in the yard as a short-term solution, I'm not sure how real the danger is of killing off the vegetation... it would be a highly diluted salty water, after all, so maybe none.

Thanks, I've also been concerned about killing the plants with salty water if I were to just drain it in the yard as a short-term solution, I'm not sure how real the danger is of killing off the vegetation... it would be a highly diluted salty water, after all, so maybe none.

I had that concern, too. But, I've yet to see ANY sign that my lawn was in any way harmed by whatever miniscule amount of salt found its way into my rinse/soaking water. Nor have I heard of anyone else having such an issue.

We purchased a new house and I kept commenting to my wife that the Whirlpool tub was a huge waste of money because it never gets used. Then I discovered that I could put all my gear in fill it and run the whirlpool to shake the salt loose. Hang it in the shower stall and I'm good to go.

Buddy of mine remodeled his bathroom. He figured that the whirlpool in there had been used exactly twice in 10 years.

Pulled it out, moved it to the corner of the garage and had it plumbed in out there.

Uses it now for scuba rinsing and deodorizing.

Pretty sure he's got rods or hooks above the tub to hang stuff up to drip dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom