I Use no air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok everyone...

my SAC (used calculator online) is 0.2287199480181936. This is wayyy below the average.

The data I put in was--all according to my dive log-- was 48ft depth, 38 min, 3000psi-2200psi, tank=s80

the typical SAC rate is .705

Try to get it down to a maximum of 0.2287199480181935. That would be an admirable accomplishment. :wink:

Were you using a computer that logs data? If so, you should be able to extract from it the average depth at which you were consuming gas. As bubbletrouble said, it's likely shallower than 48 feet, though if you dove a square profile it wouldn't be very significant.

Also note that while your SPG may read 3000 before you get in the water, it will probably lose a couple hundred PSI due to the temperature drop when you get in. Again, not exceedingly significant.

Ok everyone...

my SAC (used calculator online) is 0.2287199480181936. This is wayyy below the average.

The data I put in was--all according to my dive log-- was 48ft depth, 38 min, 3000psi-2200psi, tank=s80

I got 0.25 cu.ft./min
That's beyond amazing! Pretty sure that's possible though. Using your max depth when you were probably averaging shallower will make your SAC seem really low when in fact it's not.
Exactly how "big" are you?

I do know it's possible. I know a girl who had a SAC around the high 0.2's when we did our checkout dives for scientific. Keep in mind we were doing a lot of work down there and most people's SAC were skyrocketing.
I'm usually a 0.5 but mine had jumped to 0.8 consistently that day. I think she was the only one whose went down =-=*

Last edited:
Hey that is a pretty personal question isn't it? Oh wait...
Yeah, I meant to write "tall" rather than "big." Oops. Tall people generally have larger lung volumes. Based on his calculated SAC rate, I'd be shocked if the OP is a 6'7" starter on the varsity basketball team.

Sorry about that, mrbeast1414.

I know a guy that uses even less air .... He's a freediver :rofl3:

Yeah, I meant to write "tall" rather than "big." Oops. Tall people generally have larger lung volumes. Based on his calculated SAC rate, I'd be shocked if the OP is a 6'7" starter on the varsity basketball team.

Sorry about that, mrbeast1414.

haha no problem. :D but I am a starter for the JV team (as a point guard) at 5'8. and the depth i specified earlier was av. depth....my mistake

haha no problem. :D but I am a starter for the JV team (as a point guard) at 5'8.
But if you were 6'7"...you'd be starting for the Varsity team, right? :wink:
and the depth i specified earlier was av. depth....my mistake
OK, that's a great SAC rate. You, sir, are an outlier. Enjoy the fishies.

Wow . . . I'm very small, reasonably fit, and an EXTREMELY efficient diver, and about the lowest I've hit is .27. Be VERY careful that you aren't underventilating!

The central nervous system and especially the brain need lots of blood flow to deliver lots of oxygen. The brain is supposed to use a lot of oxygen, especially compared to the other tissues when the body is not working too hard.

Is it possible that the OP just has a really little brain? :D:D:D

Ok everyone...

If your tank is steel 80 the pressure is probably close to 3500psi to begin with (HP 3442).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom