I use 36lbs with dry suit. How much weight do I need with a 3mm wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive the Pacific Northwest in a DUI dry suit. The water temp is around 50 so I wear a full 300gm undergarment with 300gm vest plus long johns. I also use a Balance BC and an E8-130 tank. I'm 6' 4" and 210lbs. I use 36lbs of lead with this setup. For those of you that use 2lbs with this setup, please don't ask why I use 36lbs. It works for me.

I'm going to the Caribbean soon and I need to know how much weight I'll need when I switch from my dry suit to a 3mm wet suit. I will also switch from the E8-130 to an Al80. I'll add 5lbs for that.

How much can I drop just from the switch from my dry suit to my 3mm wet suit?

Your personal experiences are very much appreciated.

try this chart from Rodales (yes... but they get it right sometimes too) and
see if it's what you need:

Weight Chart

Thanks for the reply. I've used these charts before and they are great for estimating a starting point. 36lbs is just right for me and my cold water gear so I have my starting point for cold water and a dry suit. What I'm really looking for is how much weight people drop when moving from a setup like mine to a 3mm full suit.

For example - I use XXlbs with a shell dry suit, steel 80 tank and a BC. I use XXlbs when I dive a full 3mm in warm water. That will give me an idea of the difference between the two.

I use 28 pounds with a single aluminum 80 with 300 weight under garment in my DUI and 4 pounds in my 3mm shorty while in salt water. 0 pounds in fresh. Not sure if that helps, cause in my doubles I use 0 pounds with the same DUI set up.

Hallmac

Berschb, have you considered doing an actual weight check (for each of your diving needs)? Formulas never work. They're a starting point at best.

hmmm... actually, i just read the chart, fill in the numbers, add that weight, and
jump in the ocean and/or spring. it works just like magic

:bounce:

not...

the best test i know is to be at 15 feet with 500 psi in
your tank and weight yourself to be neutral.

really works for me. but the Rodale's thing works as a good place to start.

also, if in doubt, i like to be a little over-weighted. i hate being so positive at the end
of the dive that a safety stop becomes a struggle to stay down.

Actually, Arnauld is correct. You can calculate fresh to salt if you stay with the exact same gear and you know your weight (fully suited), but when you change gear, you have to get in the water.

If I had access to some warm water I would just jump in and get the weight dialed in. But, I'm leaving in a week and I have no access to warm water.

I guess I'll just have to trust the DO to guess my correct weight when I get on the boat. I suspect they are pretty good at that.

Why not do a weight check when you arrive over there? Better "waste" a few minutes on the first dive and enjoy fully the rest of your trip than being less than perfect because of a lousy formula.

It looks like that's what I'll have to do. I thought somebody here might do dry suit and warm water dives with gear similar to mine and be able to offer their experiences. I only get three days of diving on the cruise so I had hoped to arrive prepared. Oh well- I wont be the only cruise ship diver who doesn't know how much weight they need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom