I think i might be worried... doing open water this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AandK

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, im just about to begin my padi open water course this weekend but im worried i might have ear problems. I have been snokeling for a few years and have hurt my ears by diving down 3 meters without equalizing. I have passed the ear medical with no problems that is required by the padi course but still feel that i might have equalization problems. Is it normal to feel pressure when i first stick my head a foot down? Is it hard to equalize? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

If you are worried:

1) Start equalizing before going down

2) Be gentle!! Don't over push

3) Descend slowly, no need to rush

4) Remember to equalize often, before you feel any pain

There are also plenty of tips and techniques that I am sure others will chime in about. If you are having problems, there are many different ways to equalize that your instructor should be able to coach you on. Most importantly, have fun!

I had exactly the same situation and concern. I was not equalizing while snorkeling (for decades). I used conventional earplugs to prevent infections I had previously gotten. Even if I had tried to equalise I wouldn't have been able to (there are special ones --"Doc's Pro Plugs"--you can use for scuba that have a tiny hole that allows equalizing, if you need ear plugs). With the scuba unit on, we descended down to the pool's deep end for the first time with instructions to equalize. No problems--a major relief.

Here -- watch THIS video, and read THIS article. Then practice equalizing on land, until you are sure you can feel how your ears become pressurized. Then, when you are doing your in-water work, don't FORGET to equalize!

I had huge problems in the beginning but after some training on land between the dives I figured out what is the way for me (it was to pinch nose, put some presure by blowing through the nose and while keeping the pressure, swallow) later on I learned and now it is easier and I do not need to make the whole maneouver all the time. as long as I equalize before I feel pressure, if I feel pressure, sometimes I can fix it but mostly I need to descend just a meetre or two or even less and then I can equalize and go one with the descend.

I even managed a head first swim to 30m in 2min without problems, equalizing on every breath.. but it worked! This from at my first OW dive not being able to equalize AT ALL !

So just follow TSandM:s links (I read something similar) and practice at home !

Good luck and have fun with your diving carreer !

I’m not surprised that you feel ear discomfort snorkelling to a depth of 3m, you also have to equalise when you snorkel. Your instructor will show you how to equalise just remember to do it gently, don’t do it forcefully and do it continuously during descent and any time you begin to feel any ear discomfort. If you can’t equalise or feel ear discomfort then you should abandon the dive, others have done that before. Don’t worry, just get on with it.
Good luck

Not much to add but the idea is to equalize before you feel discomfort. I begin equalizing before my head goes under the water and equalize every few seconds during descent. I used to have issues early in my diving but found I wasn't equalizing often enough now that i do so every few seconds I rarely have any issues. The video TSandM recommends is well worth the look. Good luck.

I can add one small thing because it happened to me. On my discovery scuba class I kept "equalizing" but experienced no relief from the discomfort in my ears. I finished the class but was concerned about signing up for OW if my ears were going to continue causing me pain.

I took the advice about practicing on land and I figured out what I was doing wrong. In all the excitement of being underwater and having to deal with BCDs, regulators and weights, I was pinching my nose and blowing air out of my mouth. You can see how this could cause issues.

When I got to the OW classes I took it slow and concentrated on the little steps. If I was the last to descend in the pool I didn't mind because this was all about me getting it right and feeling comfortable.

I completed OW and my checkout dives last month and I've managed to get 2 more dives in so far. I am really enjoying this sport and I hope you do too.

GL :)

Here -- watch THIS video, and read THIS article. Then practice equalizing on land, until you are sure you can feel how your ears become pressurized. Then, when you are doing your in-water work, don't FORGET to equalize!

+1

Seriously, make sure you watch ALL of this video. It will teach you a lot including several techniques other than what you may be taught in class.

I'm fortunate to not have ear problems, but I've shown a few people the alternatives shown in this video and it has help them.

Equalize before you descend, and, if you're nervous about it, equalize on every (or every other) exhalation during descent. You'll be fine.

Hi, AandK,

We've all been there...and got the t-shirt & hat to prove it. The one piece of advise I have is DO NOT LET ANYONE RUSH YOU! Take your time, if you have trouble equalizing, just stop and equalize at your pace. And, try to dive fairly regularly: practice makes perfect! Beyond that, as you get more experience, your breathing rate will slow down, your bottom times will increase, and your eyes will focus on the wonderful uw world instead of all those gauges and gear.

Good Diving!

joewr...this space for rent for either private or commercial messages: inquiries on weekdays only!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom