I think I may have a problem...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Sam,

Thanks for the additional info on the fins. Unlike the fins sometimes, it's those little details that are hard to collect.

I don't know if I live in a treasure trove as much as the number of collectors is probably far less than in warmer climates where vintage diving is more common. My main competition at the marine consignment store is Phil N. :wink: I also visit a lot of thrift stores. Look at this mask I recently found for $2, a Tabata Pan-To-Scope. I glued a foam rubber block into it to equalize and dove it the other day. Worked as well as a modern mask:

003-1.jpg
008-1.jpg

I will try to post a picture of the Voit Snugpack and a Dacor metal BP that I have. Stand by, I have to dig them out!
See you topside! John

Dr Sam,

Thanks for the additional info on the fins. Unlike the fins sometimes, it's those little details that are hard to collect.

I don't know if I live in a treasure trove as much as the number of collectors is probably far less than in warmer climates where vintage diving is more common. My main competition at the marine consignment store is Phil N. :wink: I also visit a lot of thrift stores. Look at this mask I recently found for $2, a Tabata Pan-To-Scope. I glued a foam rubber block into it to equalize and dove it the other day. Worked as well as a modern mask:

View attachment 117461
View attachment 117462

Dale,
It makes no difference where or how you obtain the vintage items - It is the fact that you are interested enough to save the items from the trash pile, restore and research the history- I certainly appreciate your efforts and interest.

Re Tabata..when they appeared on the American and one must assume on the Canadian market the products were rejected-they had the siigma of being "Made in Japan"--then they changed their name to TUSA = Tabata of the United States of America, and the products became mainstream.

During that same era and even today, the public public does not know that the holy SCUBA Pro soft goods has been produced for years in a small comunity in Mexico 60 miles south of T/J called Ensenada by Ruben Pena.

Dale, Keep up the good work,

sdm

Hi DaleC,
The Navy's doing well, however hasn't seen the water since I saw you. I've decided to restore a more common reg to todays standards and save that one for display.
The fins don't appear to be the Huntington Beach "Spearfisherman" fins but they are pure gum rubber and they say: "Swimaster" "made in the USA" "Giant UDT Model" "Super Extra Large" and "Duck Feet" on them. I'll post pictures in the near future...

pjones,

I have both versions of the Duck Feet, and the ones you have are slightly more recent, but still made by Swimaster before the take-over by AMF Voit. It's basically the same design with slightly different stenciling on the fin. But these are still the original Swimaster design of the Duck Feet.

SeaRat

I too have a pair of large AMF Voit Duck Feet, U.D.T. model. Just my opinion but I think Voit made it better with the customs (pictured alongside). The blade on the UDT's is too long and causes stress at the ankle (for me) and some floppiness, where as the customs I can dive all day and still get around fast enough. All require socks to be worn to avoid blisters on the toe knuckles (for me). Also pictured are the original Spearfisherman's and the Aqualung Professional duck feet.

101_7324.jpg
101_7325.jpg
Picture2006-7.jpg
Picture2005-9.jpg
Picture2030.jpg
Picture086.jpg
Picturez044.jpg
Picture2004-22.jpg

Dale, one of the "secrets" of the old Swimaster Duck Feet fins is that they could be worn upside down, and were much more comfortable that way. For many, many years this this was how I wore them. I finally lost them in the 1970s, and about eight years ago got another pair. I now have two pair of them, and my foot has changed; I cannot as easily wear them upside down as before. The AMF Voit Duck Feet did not have that option of wearing them upside down.

SeaRat

These pics are a little rough but you can see that the "plate" is not a Voit (snug pack) or a Dacor (? name metal Alum.). that I have. doesn't mean that they didn't make them though.

Dacor  front.jpg
Dacor back.jpgVoit.jpgVoit Snug pack.jpgVoit  back.jpg
See you topside! John

pjones,
Any more news on the ID of the tanks, i have found a similar one in Australia with these markings:
TOP LINE:
IWK 969 EA 147 HOT

SECOND LINE:
WC 15LBS 7 OZS WP 2640 PSI LLOYD'S (which is in a different font) 3.9.68 KDN (the kdn is in a handwriting type font)

BOTTOM LINE:
TP 3556 PSI TARE WT 19 LBS 1OZS

thanks to
Scared Silly i now have an ID on the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom