I think I have the worst luck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junior2725

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All of my camera equipment (Canon 20D, five lenses, housing, etc) was stolen just a couple of months ago. I replaced it with a Nikon D300. I went on a trip to Pompano this past weekend and flooded the camera. :frown11: I still have no idea what caused the flood. We spent about an hour cleaning everything and putting the housing back together the night before the flood. I noticed about an inch or so of water in the housing in about 50fsw but by the time I got to the surface at a safe ascent rate it was completely flooded. That was one of the worst feelings in the world. Just watching as the water kept rising within the houisng and I couldn't do anything about it.

Michelle

Oh Michelle, I feel for you. That has to be the worst feeling ever.

I had that happen with my first D200. What type of housing do you have?

I have an ikelite housing. I'm sure that it wasn't the housing's fault. I was using my new modular port system for my 105mm VR lens. There are a lot of o-ring seals for this system. I must have messed something up when I put it together or perhaps the line hit the housing at the surface messing it up. It wasn't the calmest conditions and we were dealing with current doing some wreck dives. I really don't know where the water entered from.

I have an ikelite housing. I'm sure that it wasn't the housing's fault. I was using my new modular port system for my 105mm VR lens. There are a lot of o-ring seals for this system. I must have messed something up when I put it together or perhaps the line hit the housing at the surface messing it up. It wasn't the calmest conditions and we were dealing with current doing some wreck dives. I really don't know where the water entered from.

The reason I asked was because on some housings if you don't remove the eyepiece cover from the camera it puts enought pressure on the back of the housing to cause a gap in the seal. But, this is not the case with Ikelite.

I can feel your pain on this. I flooded by first D200 on my 3rd dive with it. I changed from wide angle to macro in between dives. I didn't see the cat hairs on the port o-ring.

Oh man, that sucks. You know what they say though. Third times a charm.:) Good luck replacing it. I think we all know that feeling. It ain't good.:shakehead:

I do have insurance coverage, although I'm not sure I will after this. I wouldn't blame them for dropping me. Just started the coverage in Nov/Dec and already on my second claim. I hope there isn't a third time for a long time.

Does anyone have any idea how long ikelite usually takes to rebuild the ttl circuitry?

I have some great trips coming up this summer and really wanted to get more practice with the new camera. Hopefully this gets taken care of without taking too extremely long.

Thanks for everyone for your support

Michelle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom